RE: [NetEpic ML] REPOST: my comments to the DE drafts

From: Darryl Hilbig <darrylhilbig_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:01:41

See below.

>From: jyrki.saari_at_...
>[snip snap]
> > Consider the size of the table & the ranges that weapons
> > normally fire at within the game. Make the big guns too accurate and
>why bother playing at all.

> > Darryl H
>
>What I meant is the "guess the distance and see if you're right" also known
>as "no measurement before firing" rule present in all too many games.
>Catapults were sighted that way...

>Jyrki Saari

When you read the books, there are range finders, laser sights, lasguns
takeout armoured troops with single shots, etc.

The comments I made relate to the fact that in 40K and to a certain extent,
Epic scale (or as I call it 6mm or 1/300 scale) the size of the table
compared to the number of figures on it means that you start at pretty close
quarters compared with historical games I have played.

Examples:

Fire Fight(Modern Skirmish level) = 20mm figs distance 1cm=1m, 1 turn = 30
secs
6mm figs: distance 5mm=1m.

Command Decision 3 (WW2 to Modern 1 stand of vehicle represents 1 Platoon)
15mm/20mm figures = 1" represents 50yds, 1 turn represents 15 minutes
1/200 or 1/285 (6mm) figs = 1cm = 50 yds

As you can see, any game based on a GW system is going up close and personal
pretty soon after starting. If the game mechanics allow hits to easily
(which eventually happens with guess range weapons if you know the
dimensions of the table and apply a little of pythagoras theorem of right
angle triangles) then no vehicles will appear on the board and it will be
just between swarms of infantry on both sides or all the games will result
in destroyed vehicles all over the table.

Essentially, what I am trying to say is, it is a game mechanics thing and
not a fluff thing.

Sorry for being long winded,
Darryl H