Re: [NetEpic ML] Ogres

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:30:48 -0700 (MST)

I've been threatening to run some Ogre testbeds.

So here's the first. I think 2 Reavers would've beaten
the Ogre flat (probably at the cost of one though).

Which (I'd think) puts an Ogre's tentative pt value between
400-600.

Other tests to try:
o about 500 pts worth of Leman Russ's.
o about 500 pts worth of Superheavies.
o about 500 pts worth of Eldar titans.
o about 500 pts worth of heavy infantry and/or space marines.
o A Warlord titan.

I tried to include all the idea's that have been bandied
about.

Hope it helps,
DarylL

p.s. The summary is at the end.

The great Heathen Ogre vs. Imperial Titan matchoff!

In this corner the Mk III Ogre
Showing up with:
Move 20cm CAF +8
1 Primary Battery (100cm, 2 attack dice, 3+ hit, -3, +2 dmg roll)
4 Secondary Battery (75cm, 2 attack dice, 4+, -2)
6 AP weapons (15cm, 12 dice, 5+, 0)
2 Missiles (150cm, 9BP, -3)

Rules as differing from current Heathen list:
Treads 48 with each loss of 12 dropping speed by 5cm
Making flashback on secondary's 7+
Ogres get +1 on all armor saves.

In the other corner the Reaver Titan
Showing up with:
Move of 20cm CAF +12
4 Void Sheilds (repairs on 4+)
A Volcano Cannon (100cm, 1 attack dice, 3+, -4, +3 dmg roll)
A Gatling Blaster (75cm, 4 dice, 5+, -1) (on the Carpace)
A Power Fist

pts. 150 + 60 + 100 + 15 = 325

Tactics:
The Ogre's tactics is to stay away from the better CAF of the Reaver,
while using it's missiles and primaries to strip it of void shields
and killing it from a distance. The Reaver's is to charge in and
use it's Power Fist and higher CAF to tear the Ogre apart.

The "field" is open with a starting distance of 120cm, the Reaver will close
20cm a turn (until it gets within charge range), the Ogre will just
stand and fire (like a giant pillbox).

Turn 1:
Ogre delays until advance fire.
Reaver moves to range 100cm
The Ogre fires first, being a command unit (not that it matters much).
Primaries roll 3, 6
2 Void shields left
2 Missiles fires 9 BP a piece.
rolls of 5, 2
0 Void shields left

The Reaver returns fire
rolls a 1 and misses.

Repair
Reaver repairs 2 void Shields (6,6,3,3)

Turn 2:
Ogre fires
Primaries 5,6
0 void shields left
Reaver moves to range 80cm
Volcano cannon rolls a 5 (smack!)
Aiming for primary battery (up, left) misses.

Repair
Reaver repairs 3 void shields (4,4,6,3)

Turn 3:
Ogre waits for advance fire.
Reaver moves to range 60cm.
(Ogre wins initiative so fires first).
Primaries 3, 5
1 voids left.
Secondaries (1,3,6,6,4,1,3,3)
0 voids, 2 hits, aimed at head. Save roll of 4 saves, roll 1.
Damage of 3 (CAF 1/2ed)

Reaver fires:
1 volcano (2).
Gatling (2,4,4,1) 2 hits.
Aimed for primary (first lands left, next lands up).
Saves (5, 5) both save.

Repair:
(5,2,4,4)
3 void shields repair.

Turn 4:
Ogre fires
Secondaries:
(6,3,3,5,2,4,1,1) 3 hits.
all void shields gone.
Primaries:
(1,4) 1 hit.
aimed at head, save of 2.
Damage roll of 6+1+2 = 9.
Dead Reaver.

  Ogre 2 secondary batteries, and the Ogre lost. The
  Reaver just ran up to it and pounded it flat. Once the Reaver
  got into CC, the Ogre is pretty helpless. It's really a question
  of whether the Reaver's void shields hold and/or repair.

o The Reaver couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it's
  Volcano cannon (the weapon which is best able to gut an Ogre).
  I expected the Ogre to lose something fairly early on.

o The Reaver also didn't hide behind buildings or attempt to move in
  such a way that not all the secondaries could fire on it (this is
  actually a big deal, since it's the secondaries that continually
  brought down it's void shields).

o Perhaps the Ogre needs to be more vulnerable to hits. I'd be
  tempted to make it have flashbacks with more regularity
  (1-2 no flashback, 3-4, cybernetic, 5-6 reactor) for
  flashbacks occuring on primaries and secondaries. I'd
  also be tempted to make the conning tower flashback to the
  cybernetic core only on a 3-6 (to bring it more in line with the
  above two). Or else just have a guaranteed flashbacks on primaries
  and secondaries (1-3 cybernetic, 4-6 reactor).

o Please point out any rule mistakes I've made?

o I'll try to run it again sometime soon (removing any/all of the
  mistakes I made in this run).