Re: [NetEpic ML] Ogres

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:27:40 -0700 (MST)

> [Snip]
> > This looks good, I'd keep the armor at 1+ to keep non-AP troops from
> > being able to destroy it. Otherwise it's fine.
>
> Yep, the armor will not be reduced. I'll change the table.

Another thought is to make the cybernetic flashback a 7+ event.

The point of doing that is to stop one-shot kills on an Ogre (except by
weapons that get some bonus to their damage roll). Although the
probablility of a one-shot kill is still sufficiently low that
it's probably safe to leave as is.

One of my concerns when I wrote the initial draft was to avoid
one shot kills on Ogres (although it might be necessary to allow
for game balance reasons).

> > > 4) Ogre main battery should IMO have +2 to damage rolls.
> >
> > I've got no problem with this.
> >
> > > 5) Shields; this is a real pain. On the other hand the
> > technology certainly
> > > existed during the Dark Age of Technology, but OTOH the
> > Ogres are already
> > > VERY durable so game balance might well be ruined even with
> > increased cost.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I'd leave them out. Sheilds would make Ogres too Land-Train
> > like. (Perhaps
> > the developers of Ogres never discovered Void Shields (and
> > it's the reason
> > they lost out against Titans)). Or something like that.
> >
> > The fluff I came up with for the Ogre worlds was that they were caught
> > in a null-warp space anomoly, and all warp based phenomina (including
> > shields) were unknown.
> >

> A quick point: void shields are not a warp-based technology. A void shield
> is a "normal" energy field.

I must have implied that based on the name, The void being another name
for the warp (IIRC).

> It does grant a save against non-physical
> psychic powers but so does a power field. However, we could bend the fluff
> so that the people in sargasso cluster split from Earth in the beginning of
> the DAT and never stumbeld on Void shield principles or built titans.
>
> That brings me to another question: what FTL technology do the Combine &
> Federation use? If warp is blocked from the cluster they must have some
> other method of FTL travel.

Slower than light ships within the cluster. Short hops (since they
lack any navigators) outside the cluster. The cluster is not all
that big (25,000,000 cubic ly's is ~300ly on a side).

This is all fluff, so if you want to make the cluster even smaller (say
100ly on a side 1,000,000 cubic ly's), feel free to change it. Most
Combine/Pan-European colonies would be pretty autonomous.

It's meant to be more of an excuse to why they aren't riddled with Chaos
(and lack psychics) than anything else. Since they don't worship
the Emperor.

> > Although I will admit, that everytime I look at the conning
> > tower, I think
> > of some sorta shield generator.
>
> How about giving the Ogres powerfields? IMO that would be a decent
> compromise. They give some extra protection but once they're down they stay
> down. Each Ogre could have a number of powerfields equal to its' mark, with
> Fencer being the equivalent of MkIII, Ninja the equivalent of MkIV and
> Doppelsoldner the equivalent of MkVI.

I'm hesitant to give Ogre's any kinda fields. It just doesn't feel
Ogre like. Most Titans (and other shielded constructs) are relatively
effective until their shields go. Then they are in trouble. I feel
an Ogre OTOH, should lose it's effectiveness more gradually (but start
from the very first shot). This is the way they "work" in Ogre (not that
that is necessarily the guide we must follow, it was the guide I used
when doing the rough draft though).

So to draw ascii graph (needs a fixed font):

 . Ogre + Titan
f|
i|.
r| .
e| .
p|++++++.++++
o| . +
w| . +
e| .+
r| +
 +---------------+.-----------------
       time (while under fire)

> > > Jyrki Saari
> >
> > Some random thoughts,
>
> Thanks for those. I really appreciate the effort. BTW didn't you design the
> original list?

I did the heathen list. Someone else wrote some Ogre rules even before
me (which I glanced at ... but didn't use), they were significantly
more over the top than mine.

> If you did, and think I am going too far with the
> changes/additions please say so, IMO you should have the final say on how
> things should be.

Nah, anybody whose interested in it (and willing to take the time
to work on it) should have a voice in how things should be. I suspect
we can work out any disagreements. The initial paragraph asks
for peoples additions to the Heathen list(s).

I haven't had alot of time to work on any hobby stuff lately. I feel
a little bad since I haven't been of more help (I keep saying I'll
run some testbeds with Ogres ... and I keep not finding time).

> > DarylL
>
> Jyrki Saari

DarylL