Re: [NetEpic ML] Regarding Epic40K- Armageddon Playtest

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:59:19 -0400

Hi!

Ah! I see. The problem I have with combining those two in one roll is that it takes away player particiaption. While th net epic mechanic is not perfect the player has a chance to save thus he partcipates in "saving" or "destroying" the vehicle. I like mechanics where interaction is furthered not dimished.

One system I really like and Heresy took some pointers from is to make armor hitiing/penetration and the armor save an opposed roll. Meaning tha weapon has its penetration/tohit die(dice) and you roll off against the defender who rolls off his armor die )dice). If the firer is higher the vehicle is hit and penetrated. If the defender is higher the shot is thwarted. To can add grit to this mechanic by putting in "shades" of penetration as follows. If the firer die roll is higher by lets say 1 its a superficial hit mor than that its a deep hit. You could easily represent this on one short table for all vehicles in the game.

Damn...Jyrki...Your giving me that designers urge again. I feel a Heresy II coming on......... Actually I'm righting these ideas down since I may have come with a way to make a simple game mechanic to reduce die rolls but still conserve a good deal of character and "grit". Now I won't bore the list with such things (unless you want me too), but Jyrki, you should contact me if you want in on designing another game from scratch. This time I think I can make an engine not only for epic, but transferable to other genre.

HA! and you complained about me making you spend money, I'd rather spend 20 dollars than spend all the time this little project will generate LOL. But then again its fun!!

The muse is upon me!

Peter