Re: [NetEpic ML] Advance Fire Phase Q.

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:41:47 -0400

Hi!

Sorry, sometimes we get carried away.

This is the summary on pinning and its relation to units with advance orders.

1. Units UNENGAGED in close combat may fire normally at either units who were unengaged in close combat or units that were victorious in close combat that are no longer engaged.

Example: A devastator detachment in a nearby building is on advance orders. It is defended by a detachment of assault marines who is engaged by a couple of detachments of Orks. The Orks managed to overcome the assault marines in close combat, leaving several Orks stands victorious and an engaged. These victorious stands, which are now about engaged maybe shot at by the nearby devastated or Mary detachment on advance orders. This is an example on how firepower should back up close combat engagements to cleanup close combat survivors.

2. Units ENGAGED in close combat that are PINNED, may not fire in the advance fire phase. Note that some models within a unit may be pinned while others are not. Those models that were not engaged and thus not pinned may fire even though other models within the same detachment are engaged and are pinned and cannot fire.

Example: an imperial guard platoon with 10 stands is engaged by six Orks stands. The imperial guard platoon is on advance orders. For imperial guard stands remain unengaged and therefore may fire normally in the advance fire phase. The six imperial guard stands that were engaged however since they are pinned may not fire.

3. Units ENGAGED in close combat that are NOT PINNED and are on advance fire orders may fire normally. As per net epic rules only units from the same pinning category can be pinned. They are several pinning category's: infantry, vehicles, knights and super heavy vehicles and titans. These classes are placed in order from least two most. That is, if it she can only in other infantry but not any other higher class. Titans on the other hand in pinned other titans and any other classes below. A fifth class, skimmers, can only be pinned by the other skimmers regardless of size. This means if a model is not pinned and is on advance orders it can either choose the fire at the unit that engaged at or other models that her father away.

Example: a warlord tightened it is assaulted in close combat by numerous infantry stands. The warlord titan is on advance orders. The warlord titan may either selective fire at the infantry or ignore them and fire at other targets. Note that it can fire in the advance fire phase normally even if it did fight a round of close combat previously. The important thing is that the model could not be paid by the infantry and models NOT PINNED can fire normally in the advance fire phase.

This pretty much sums up the interaction of pain models and how they apply to advance orders.

Any further questions are welcomed.

Peter