Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:07:56 -0400

Hi!

> The above implies that the penalties due to suppression effect the d6 roll?
> (ie 2 suppressions give you a -1 to remove the suppressions?)

You are correct. The penalties affected the d6 roll.

> I'd add command units are immune to suppression (these guys are supposed
> to be somewhat heroic individuals in most cases).

Damn! I knew I forgot something. Titans, praetorians and super heavy vehicles (as well as hq units) are immune to suppression.

> Another thought is to have elite units ignore their first suppression
> marker (count as if they have one less suppression marker on them).

Excellent idea! I would definitely at this

> Also the above is somewhat painful to units with good armor saves and
> low numbers (imperial superheavies and titans).

Agreed. See above.

> I just can't see them being suppressed by
> a bunch of imperial guardsmen (10 dice attacking a single titan gives
> 5 suppression on the titan ... ouch for the titan). Suppression is
> a psychological effect (ie survival instinct), having a bunch
> of metal around you (and/or shields) ought to give you a (possibly false)
> sense of security and make you harder to suppress.
>
> Perhaps a table:
> Armor Save
> SaveMod of attack None (6+)-(5+) (4+)-(3+) (2+)-(0+)
> 0 full half none none
> -1 full full half none
> -2 full full full half
> <= -3 full full full full
>
> Superheavies (1+ save) would completely ignore most things (lasguns, heavy
> weapons, and lascannons), but would be supressed by battlecannons and
> bigger.

To make it simpler let's just make them immune.

> A leman russ detachment (3 tanks) could completely ignore antipersonnel
> weapons, but would be somewhat fearful of lascannons/heavy weapons and
> very fearful of larger things.
>
> The table should be fairly easy to memorize.
>
> (if the table is to generous, you could add a 1/4th to the rows).

Antipersonnel weapons should be able to suppress what do so at half value. To suppress the standard unit of three models it would require at least six models and the firing detachment. While it's possible that it may score 1 suppression, it gets greatly more difficult to inflict more suppression since they would need double the attack dice divisional.

Thanks for the comments!

Peter