Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:34:17 -0700 (MST)

Thoughts intersparsed below,

> Hi!
>
> SUPPRESSION RULES

<cut stuff>

> EFFECTS OF SUPPRESSION
>
> Suppression makes it more difficult to move and fire. Units that are suppr=
> essed must make a morale check in order to move or fire. A failed morale c=
> heck means that the suppressed unit cannot move or fire. A successful mora=
> le check means that the unit can move or fire normally. If the suppressed =
> unit has only one suppression marker the morale check is made without penal=
> ty. For each additional suppression counter a minus 1 penalty to morale ch=
> ecks is applied. Note that this penalty also applies to standard break tes=
> ts and route tests, as well as battlefield effects (psychic attacks).
>
> Suppression markers are removed in the end phase. To remove suppression ma=
> rkers for each unit or model roll a d6. On a role of two or more remove al=
> l suppression counters on that unit or model. On a role of 1 suppression c=
> ounters remain. Regardless of how many suppression counters a unit may have=
> or how many attended penalties a role of six will always remove all suppre=
> ssion markers.

The above implies that the penalties due to suppression effect the d6 roll?
(ie 2 suppressions give you a -1 to remove the suppressions?)

> Units suppressed in that same turn may attempt to remove suppression counte=
> rs in that same end phase.
>
> TYPE OF WEAPONS
>
> Obviously certain weapons will cause more suppression against some targets =
> and less to others. To avoid over complication of categorizing weapons sys=
> tems I've come up with the following simple guidelines:
>
> Any weapon with a save modifier of 0 will cause normal suppression against =
> units with no armor save and half suppression against units with an armor s=
> ave.
>
> Any weapon with a save modifier all of minus 1 or better cause normal suppr=
> ession against units with or without an armor save.
>
> As you can see in and take weapons with a modifier of 0 are usually anti pe=
> rsonnel weapons and thus cause less suppression to army units and better su=
> ppression against units without armor. On the other and weapons with a sav=
> e modifier cause suppression equally against all units.

I'd add command units are immune to suppression (these guys are supposed
to be somewhat heroic individuals in most cases).

Another thought is to have elite units ignore their first suppression
marker (count as if they have one less suppression marker on them).

Also the above is somewhat painful to units with good armor saves and
low numbers (imperial superheavies and titans).

I just can't see them being suppressed by
a bunch of imperial guardsmen (10 dice attacking a single titan gives
5 suppression on the titan ... ouch for the titan). Suppression is
a psychological effect (ie survival instinct), having a bunch
of metal around you (and/or shields) ought to give you a (possibly false)
sense of security and make you harder to suppress.

Perhaps a table:
                   Armor Save
SaveMod of attack None (6+)-(5+) (4+)-(3+) (2+)-(0+)
0 full half none none
-1 full full half none
-2 full full full half
<= -3 full full full full

Superheavies (1+ save) would completely ignore most things (lasguns, heavy
weapons, and lascannons), but would be supressed by battlecannons and
bigger.

A leman russ detachment (3 tanks) could completely ignore antipersonnel
weapons, but would be somewhat fearful of lascannons/heavy weapons and
very fearful of larger things.

The table should be fairly easy to memorize.

(if the table is to generous, you could add a 1/4th to the rows).