RE: Re: [NetEpic ML] Suppression revisited

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:50:12 +0200

Not really, in NetEpic anyway. The current rules only include casualty morale check.

> Perhaps in a future release as Advanced Netepic, it might do
> fine, so here are my comments.

I don't think there will be Advanced Net Epic. An advanced rules supplement maybe. Advanced Net Epic is Heresy.

> It is somehwat logical that units ignoring supression have a
> higher mortallityrate, but I think the hit from supression
> should be taken at least with a +1 savemodifier.

Good idea. I actually thought about this myself yesterday.

> Further, I cant really picture a vehicle getting supressed.
> Their existence rely on moving, so if you are cought in a
> deadly crossfire, the driver does not hide beneath the seat
> but pushes the gaspedal to the bottom and gets out of there.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, you just put forth the same arguments I had about vehicles getting stopped in place by infantry. But suppression isn't the same as pinning. Pinning may result from suppression as troops refuse to move (and are thus pinned). Vehicles are not pinned and that's why the effects are different; the volume of fire disrupts their aim and forces the drivers to evade, hence the -1 to-hit modifier. And, furthermore, the evading and zigzagging reduces the effective movement of the vehicle. Hence the movement penalty.

All in all, I don't think the suppression rules will ever make it to the core set, so you can relax ;) However, I'd really like some playtesting results. As my own situation hasn't improved lately (no opponents and two small children who seem to eat up my remaining free time not to mention my sleep) I must rely on the listmembers to test the rules. Any volunteers?

> Eivind

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is money.