Re: [NetEpic ML] Greetings and opinion

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:00:50 -0400

Hi!

Welcome to the group!

> Hi Guys!!
> I'm Zerloon, and I'm very glad to join in this ML!!
> Sorry for my bad english, but I'm not used to write in your language.
> I'm the fierce leader of an Eldar Army of Saim-Hann.
>
> This is the greetings, now start the opinion.
>
> In my use of Eldar army I've seen that some unit are useless or worse, I'm
> talking about:
>
> Wraithguard - Dreadnough - War Walker - Dire avenger - Fire Dragon.
>
> If you dont' agree please say me why, and the right use of the above troop.

I assume you are using net epic rules 4.1, since there are slight differences in some of these units from the original GW rules.

Wraithguard and dreadnoughts are very useful since they ignore most morale checks due to their spirit stones. They are good to assualt areas where casualties are expected and are reliable to keep the objectives since they usually wont run due to morale. Also, wraithguard are great close combat troops with a +4 CAF they can hold their own versus most troops. They have the added bonus that they also have a armor save unlike most infantry. A couple of these mounted in transports can make a big difference when deployed to the right place. Eldar dreadnoughts have a high save modifier (-2) on their main gun, unlike most dreadoughts that have a -1 or no save modifier. I combine these with guardians to give them firepower to take on tanks. The best use of these two are in a Spirit Host, the enemy gets VP ONLY when the warlock is killed and they get the added bonus of the warlocks order ability. VERY effective this way with a lot of staying power.

Warwalkers have good anit-infantry and anti-tank weapons. The best use is as support to your guardians. I also use them on guard duty, protecting other units like tempests and doomweaevers. You leave them on first fire and basically either snap fire or shoot unit that try to engage the more valuable unit. It forces the opponent to attack the warwalkers directly instead of the more valuable unit.

Fire dragons in net epic ignore cover and have a high save modifier so they are useful in flushing out units in cover especially armored units. Dire avengers are effective IMO, although luck has it's role, they can be pretty devastating against massed infantry like orks and IG. Use them versus infantry only, since they dont have saves, this will increase the probability of kills and get extra shots. I like mixing dire avengers with guardians as cover and then go hunting for massed infantry. They are very effective versus on first fire if you expect them to be engaged in close combat since they can potentially kill multiple combatants as they come in. In this way they can hold on to objectives very well.

> More I've an Idea for the Dire Avenger, instead of the 5+ to hit and
> continue firing if destroy target, the Dire Avenger hit with 4+ the first
> time, if destroy take a second shot whit 5+ and finally if destroy again
> take a third 6+ shot.

This is a nice idea, come time for revision we may visit it again.

Enjoy your stay!

Peter