[NetEpic ML] Re: Titan toughness

From: Peter Ramos <pramos_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 19:24:45 +0000

Hi!

Thomas Lawson wrote:

> If the system has moved to the rule where hits can no longer scatter off of
> a Titan, this may be an appropriate change to make. Back when I used to
> battle the Orks every weekend (back whenit was still Space Marine), My two
> Reavers always got trashed by my opponent's single Great Gargant, even when
> I was rolling well.

All too true, gargants have always been too powerful for thier cost and much
tougher than imperial counterparts.

> In comparative points costs, the Reavers and Warlords were IMO, much less
> effective. That's one of the reasons this game was on my shitlist for a
> while. I read all the fluff before I actually played a single game. I went
> into the games thinking a Titan could wade across the battlefield in
> relative immunity and act as a schwerpunkt for my attacks. I was surprised
> to find out that they were quite fragile and that ironically, the Gargants,
> described as big, lumbering, poorly constructed monstrosities, were much
> more resilient than the cutting edge tech of the Imperial Titans. They could
> easily take more damage and averaged twice the number of guns.

Again true, true, once upon a time it was so bad for titans that many players
just didnt field them anymore, titan legions made some changes, but still to
little too late.

> The only thing going for the Imperial Titans was occasional template scatter
> that caused a miss and a larger variety of weapons(half of which were
> pointlessly stupid to begin with before the point system.....and now with
> the point system they are still next to useless). The Void Shields,
> well...they never seemed to regenerate until the Titan was half-dead anyway.
> I would have taken Power Fields over Void Shields anyday.

The alternate titan rules in Incoming! address most of these points and
redresses the balance making warlords more powerful and gargants less so.
Regardless of what we do however we must change the current system in some major
aspects. mainly in resilence of titans and how well they repair and such, also
weapons HAVE TO be re-evaluted to make them all useful and priced accordingly.

Peter