Re: [NetEpic ML] More brainstorming

From: dkaardal <dkaardal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:23:42 -0000

> The thing is you spend the whole game defending against this and
titans
> behave in strange ways, hiding, lurking and other such things.
Aren't
> titans offensive platforms? Aren't they supposed to fear other
titans?
> The old unmodified rules just foments really strange actions where
> titans spend the game "running ways" and playing defense, instead of
> striding forth and kicking butt!

My titans are covered by infantry - so they wade into the middle of
the battle, gleefully fireing away. Sometimes I keep a thunderhawk or
two in reserve, just to reinforce it's screen of infantry. The
infantry can keep up with the titan without too much difficulty, in
their vehicles. Gorgons of the tech guard are PERFECT for this.
ironically.

in this manner, my titan goes where it wants, and kills what it
wants. The enemy REALLY had to outmaneouver me to hurt me now -
especially because drop pods, spoors, thunderhawks etc come out in
the flier phase.. allowing me to move away from the enemy troops
easily anyway.

;)

now, if I'm fighting a foe that doesnt seem to be fielding much
infantry? Hell, then my titan has a field day!

:)

> I don't agree, you could play flawless and I'd still nail you titan
with
> massed infantry. Remember that there are ways to get to your titan
> without going on foot or using transports: tunnelers, air transport,
> units with warp capability, all these could engage you titan with a
few
> cheap troops from behind (thus negating any first fire you may
have) and
> easily swarm and take it out. How you protect a titan against
these? You
> can't. the rule makes it too easy to take a titan out this way.

I'll take that bet.

:)

it''s all in the tactics used

> You just gave the reasons yourself. Super heavies are slow, no
shields
> and not hit locations. They aren't built to defend against swarms, a
> titan is. Any fluff you read says the same things, hundreds of
infantry
> crushed underfoot, not a single one ever mentions a titan taken out
by
> infantry (although vehicles have, but that's a good thing!).

Yes, BUT - those two units, the reaver and the tank company COST THE
EXACT SAME!

you are making titans more powerful then their point costs dictate.
That's my issue. if you make titans immune to infantry , they they
become incredibly powerful for their point costs.

With your rules, I'd add an additional 300 points to each titan,
easily.. that's based on the fact that it costs about 300 points in
other units to protect a titan against infantry in the old rules. the
bonus you'd get by replacing your infantry screen with these new
rules, is that you no longer have to worry about making a mistake
with your infantry screen and leaving your titan vulnerable.

><shrug>> I'll tell you one thing though; you have given me pause to
>once again
> think about this issue. Perhaps somewhere in my head there's a
solution.

Cool.

:)

just a disclaimer - I really hope no one get's offended by my rants.
I'm honestly just trying to get everything to balance a little better.

Donovan.