Re: [NetEpic ML] More brainstorming

From: dkaardal <dkaardal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:56:45 -0000

> I really hate the "screen infantry" style, seems too "WH Fantasy" :)
> maybe 'couse as an eldar general I don't have "non valuable"
infantry to
> waste just to screen a titan (and Eldar titans must continuosly
move to
> survive) instead a better "long range" unit can cover more than one
> friendly detachment/unit so is more flexible and effective

Heh. I'm really flag waving here...

:)

the "screening infantry" tactic isnt really a tactic at all... just a
reality. in epic as in real life (god I hate saying that about a sci-
fi game).You should have to protect your armour - in this case, your
titans... I point again to the example of a Reaver titan compared to
a Shadowsword company.

it's not hard to kill 3 shadowswords with close combat infantry.
Especially if the tanks are not on first fire. Why should it be more
difficult (to the point of impossibility) to kill a titan of equal
point value?

I say again... everyone wants to change the titan rules because they
LIKE titans. It offends them when a titan is brought down with
infantry - even though it shouldnt. Titans are just another war
machine, with stats and point values. Making rules to prevent
infantry from being able to harm a titan, without adding dramatically
to the point cost, is unbalancing.

Hey, I like titans too - I almost never have an army without 'em -
but jeeze... they can basically just lay down, wave their arms and
legs around and make infantry angels now.

:)

if you want to change the rules, I'd NOT suggets limiting the number
of troops that can attack them (doesnt make logical sense, if you
think about it - that's why it's referred to as a swarm), then I'd
say do this:

1: For any unit smaller then a knight/super heavy, you must make a
moral role to charge a titan and engage in close combat.
(yes, this is good for marines, and VERY good for tyranids. So what -
it's a freebie.)

2: Give titans bolters. (or the racial equivalent))
 there are already rules in place saying that tanks can always fire
bolters at charging infantry (unless they've already fired that
turn). This is a good rule, and if you merely add some bolters to a
titan (maybe 6 for warhounds, 10 for reavers, and 12+ for warlords),
this will help thin out the ranks of charging units... give them
something else to think of, and allow the titan player a little more
flexibility -BUT, it does NOT mean the titan player can be stupid...
jsut give him a little bit of a buffer.
This had the advantage of NOT making any special rules for titans...
you just give them bolters. No biggie. Increase the point value of
the chassis for titans by 25 points or something, and you're done.
Not a big deal... instead of trying to make all sorts of arcane rules
that may or may not work.

Imperials: bolters
eldar: gatling lasers
tyranids: some icky goober attack
orcs: bolters
chaos: bolters

keeping things nice and simple is always a good idea.

oh - just for background, I field an imperial army. Marine/guard/and
titans... so I'm actually lobbying to reduce the power of my units. I
mean, I fight against tyranids... so anything that makes my titans
less good against their infantry makes things harder for me. Which
kinda sucks.