Re: [NetEpic ML] More brainstorming

From: Lorenzo Canapicchi <lorenzo.canapicchi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:23:47 +0100

dkaardal wrote:
> the "screening infantry" tactic isnt really a tactic at all... just a
> reality. in epic as in real life (god I hate saying that about a sci-
> fi game).You should have to protect your armour - in this case, your
> titans... I point again to the example of a Reaver titan compared to
> a Shadowsword company.

You can bet no one of my opponent use it :o) massed detachment are a great
deal with my army composition, screening infantry it's just a (not so
smart) tactic, with me you can use it once, but after the first carnage you
think twice before to use it the second time, just like to sit at the end
of the table and blast the opponent, one of my best friend with his TG/IG
army used to play this way at the beginning, not today ... just figure why.
This kind of strategies could be useful the first time with a novice
opponent, the second time it doesn't work, trust me, no golden rule say:
"you must screen your titans", a game it's a complex mix of strategy,
mobility and a keen eye for the particular situation you have to face, not
just "fire at will having a good defence", sometimes you can win a game
giving targets to your opponent while your vision of the battle become a
reality.

> it's not hard to kill 3 shadowswords with close combat infantry.
> Especially if the tanks are not on first fire. Why should it be more
> difficult (to the point of impossibility) to kill a titan of equal
> point value?

it's not just a question of points spent in the card, epic is a complex
game not a bounche of units that differs only by the name.

> I say again... everyone wants to change the titan rules because they
> LIKE titans. It offends them when a titan is brought down with
> infantry - even though it shouldnt. Titans are just another war
> machine, with stats and point values. Making rules to prevent
> infantry from being able to harm a titan, without adding dramatically
> to the point cost, is unbalancing.

just FYI seldom I use titans in my games, usually only when I play my dark
Angels Army, and I only have a warlord, a river and 2 warhounds, so I'm not
really the one that love titans, I think they are too costly for my style
of combat, BTW I see something missing with actual Titans, not for me, just
talking about the game.

> if you want to change the rules, I'd NOT suggets limiting the number
> of troops that can attack them (doesnt make logical sense, if you
> think about it - that's why it's referred to as a swarm), then I'd
> say do this:

Have you ever tryed to battle a Titan in CC?, to be clear going in CC not
fire in advance or FF phase, try to damage a titan in CC and tell me how 10
detachments of marine can grasp a Titan Leg and try to fight HtH

> 1: For any unit smaller then a knight/super heavy, you must make a
> moral role to charge a titan and engage in close combat.
> (yes, this is good for marines, and VERY good for tyranids. So what -
> it's a freebie.)

this don't make any sense IMHO, why I'd should take a morale test facing a
titan? just imagine an Ork or a Chaos marine...with plasma granades, power
fists, etc...
> 2: Give titans bolters. (or the racial equivalent))
> there are already rules in place saying that tanks can always fire
> bolters at charging infantry (unless they've already fired that
> turn). This is a good rule, and if you merely add some bolters to a
> titan (maybe 6 for warhounds, 10 for reavers, and 12+ for warlords),
> this will help thin out the ranks of charging units... give them
> something else to think of, and allow the titan player a little more
> flexibility -BUT, it does NOT mean the titan player can be stupid...
> jsut give him a little bit of a buffer.
> This had the advantage of NOT making any special rules for titans...
> you just give them bolters. No biggie. Increase the point value of
> the chassis for titans by 25 points or something, and you're done.
> Not a big deal... instead of trying to make all sorts of arcane rules
> that may or may not work.

I've never seen bolters around a titan, or bolters that could fire between
Titan legs, and what about using bolters against veichles/SH? If I was a
Titan Commander the first thing I could try to get rid off those pesky
units would be stomp on them all the time, If I'm not wrong AT have such a
rule.

--
Lorenzo Canapicchi
TXT e-solutions S.p.A.