An idea for Slann Mechs

From: <rune.karlsen6_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:34:00 +0200

Hi,

its me again :)
I've never been satisfied with the way the light and medium
Slann Mechs fulfill their roles as infantry support and tank
busters. I've also always imagined mechs as miniature versions
of titans, and i'd like to see a basic mech which can be upgraded
to fulfill the different roles better. As such, ive made a
suggestion, which will keep the prices approximately where they
are today, but will allow you to equip the mechs in a more flexible
manner. One of the reasons im suggesting this, is because the
True Slann have very few company cards, and i find it very difficult
to balance a 3k army for example. You set up your army as best you
can, and you find yourself at 2900,2925 or 2950 points. The Slann
have very little cheap units you can take along, and certainly
nothing worth measly 50 or 75 points. This warrants a more flexible
price structure on some units, and the ones which come to mind are
mechs and titans. Here are my suggestions :

A basic mech, based on the tadpole (300 for a support card of 3).
It has the same stats. This mech can take 4 upgrades, one for
armor, one for CAF, one for missiles, and one for main armament.

Mech Upgrades :

- Enchanced Armor, save reduced by 2. Increased weight, move reduced by 10. Cost 25
- Enhanced CAF, CAF +2, cost 25
- Enhanced CAF, CAF +4, cost 50
- Weapons upgrade, Turbo minigun (6 at�s, 25cm, 5+, -1). Main armament. Cost 25
- Weapons upgrade, Twin Gauss Flayer Cannons(2 at�s, 50cm, 4+, -2). Main armament. cost 50
- Weapons upgrade, Twin Heavy Boltcaster Cannons(2 at�s, 75cm, 4+, -2). Main armament. Cost 75
- Weapons upgrade, Conversion Cannon (2 at�s, 75cm, 4+, -1d6). Main armament. Cost 100
- Weapons upgrade, 2 Nullify missiles. Missile. Cost 50

Anybody with a quick mind, will see that the full spec'd mech detachment will cost 525, while the heavy mechs today costs 500,
but that is with a lower CAF. Choosing your upgrades will enable you to f.ex make a heavily armed infantry buster or a lighly armed
close combat knight. This way, it is also much easier to balance
your army if you need an extra 25/50/75 points or even have to
many points. This will of course require a little bookkeeping, but
not of any consequence compared to the huge improvements it would
make. Being that the Mechs are the backbone of the Slann army, i
definately would like to see them with a little more variety and
potential.

Hope the few Slann players out there agree with me, this is really
no big rules modifier, it just gives a little flexibility where
some is needed.

Rune