TAU battlesuits (was: An idea for Slann Mechs)

From: antichrist666it <seimejote_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 12:11:20 -0000

--- In netepic_at_y..., <rune.karlsen6_at_c...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> its me again :)
> I've never been satisfied with the way the light and medium
> Slann Mechs fulfill their roles as infantry support and tank
> busters. I've also always imagined mechs as miniature versions
> of titans, and i'd like to see a basic mech which can be upgraded
> to fulfill the different roles better. As such, ive made a
> suggestion, which will keep the prices approximately where they
> are today, but will allow you to equip the mechs in a more flexible
> manner. One of the reasons im suggesting this, is because the
> True Slann have very few company cards, and i find it very difficult
> to balance a 3k army for example. You set up your army as best you
> can, and you find yourself at 2900,2925 or 2950 points. The Slann
> have very little cheap units you can take along, and certainly
> nothing worth measly 50 or 75 points. This warrants a more flexible
> price structure on some units, and the ones which come to mind are
> mechs and titans. Here are my suggestions :
>
> A basic mech, based on the tadpole (300 for a support card of 3).
> It has the same stats. This mech can take 4 upgrades, one for
> armor, one for CAF, one for missiles, and one for main armament.
>
> Mech Upgrades :
>
> - Enchanced Armor, save reduced by 2. Increased weight, move
reduced by 10. Cost 25
> - Enhanced CAF, CAF +2, cost 25
> - Enhanced CAF, CAF +4, cost 50
> - Weapons upgrade, Turbo minigun (6 at's, 25cm, 5+, -1). Main
armament. Cost 25
> - Weapons upgrade, Twin Gauss Flayer Cannons(2 at's, 50cm, 4+, -2).
Main armament. cost 50
> - Weapons upgrade, Twin Heavy Boltcaster Cannons(2 at's, 75cm, 4+, -
2). Main armament. Cost 75
> - Weapons upgrade, Conversion Cannon (2 at's, 75cm, 4+, -1d6). Main
armament. Cost 100
> - Weapons upgrade, 2 Nullify missiles. Missile. Cost 50
>
> Anybody with a quick mind, will see that the full spec'd mech
detachment will cost 525, while the heavy mechs today costs 500,
> but that is with a lower CAF. Choosing your upgrades will enable
you to f.ex make a heavily armed infantry buster or a lighly armed
> close combat knight. This way, it is also much easier to balance
> your army if you need an extra 25/50/75 points or even have to
> many points. This will of course require a little bookkeeping, but
> not of any consequence compared to the huge improvements it would
> make. Being that the Mechs are the backbone of the Slann army, i
> definately would like to see them with a little more variety and
> potential.
>
> Hope the few Slann players out there agree with me, this is really
> no big rules modifier, it just gives a little flexibility where
> some is needed.
>
> Rune

The same may be made for the TAU battlesuits...

The only difference, instead of a chassis and weapon/shield upgrades,
it's better IMHO to create just 3/4 standard battlesuit
configurations (anti-tank, anti-infantry, multi-purpouse...) and
choose among them.