Sv: RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: more questions :)

From: <rune.karlsen6_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:52:22 +0200

Hi,

comments below

> Fra: "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_...>
> Dato: 2002/04/08 Mon PM 03:00:14 CEST
> Til: <netepic_at_yahoogroups.com>
> Emne: RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: more questions :)
>
> Hi!
>
> Ahem.....
>
> One of the reasons Slann generate so much...traffic..is that it is the
> first army to be added that is outside GW "dogma". Even the PDF and
> sisters of battle lists did not engender this much debate, because they
> are armies with a firm foot in GW lore.
>
> This means that what would be accepted for one of those armies would not
> be for the slann. As our own creation we have demanded a much tighter
> list as far as balance and playability than even those "official" GW
> armies have. I bet if we would have invented all the other lists they'd
> be pretty different from what GW gave us (some already are there). Of
> course we STILL wondering what goes well for the slann as rules and what
> don't.
>
> The slann are expensive, but they have to be. Any army that has superior
> deployment capability has to be. Having played them, even with the risks
> warp jumping is a HUGE advantage. Its impact on the playing field is up
> above what mere points can convey. Also note the points formula Birol
> made up, don't really cover a lot of special abilities. So to use it to
> compare with other units is difficult and misleading. I remember the
> original slann rules, they were TOO GOOD. I have played them with the
> current rules and they are just fine. Playtest is far a more compelling
> argument than all else. That we need to further develop the list,
> perhaps using the upgrade idea, is good and necessary. But changing the
> points cost is iffy at best.
>
> I would prefer to leave the Slann and necron as ONE army. The fluff
> invented supports as much and to have them separate would mean an
> expansion of the Slann part (as they stand they don't have enough unit
> variety to stand alone). As they are they are a large list with many
> parts, much like the chaos list (and it also shares that lists problems
> too). I think we need to decide its overall structure. There are
> guidelines in place now but they may not be as tight as one would like
> them.
>
> Having played the slann quite a bit I have thought what kind of
> structure they should have, so as to promote ONE army instead of many.
>
> If the slann are the "masters" they should be at the core of army
> construction. Meaning their companies are the center of each army. All
> the necron units should be support. After all their reason of being is
> to defend the slann not fight on their own. There are only two Necron
> companies if I recall correctly and I wonder if they should be just
> support. Mind you you don't need to change the unit content, just make
> it a support card. This is not a new concept since chaos has company
> size support cards (chaos marine legions are company sized, but
> [...]

I agree that the Slann are pretty balanced, i was merely pointing
out two units which imho cost too much, and a way to make a more
flexible system for the mechs. When it comes to making the Necron
Company Cards into support cards, consider this : It will give
the Slann perhaps 2 special cards in a 4K game. You have only
2 infantry companies and 2 mech companies to choose from. If
you bring one of each, you're talking at least 1450 points for
the cheapest combinations. If you want to change the structure,
i think you'd be better off purchasing Slann commanders (like
Vanguards), and adding support cards (with a 2/5th True Slann limit),
and adding special cards as you see fit. This is a structure which
would make the Slann easy to break (since in effect, there are
no company cards), but would allow for greater flexibility.

> Regarding the "Abilities" idea. I do like it, but it will be optional
> and advance if used. Making them support cards and spending support
> slots is a great idea that should be used. I know some armies have
> "cheapies" as far as card cost, perhaps these "cards" could be theirs.
>
> There are things that need to be changed for the slann, but I think its
> mostly organization in nature and adding options, rather than changing
> what's there already. The slann have had a more scrutiny than even the
> original GW armies. As they stand they are balanced, even by the
> standards of the slann opponents, but as always everything can ise MINOR
> tweaking.
>
> Peter

Yes, i agree completely. Its just that some people hear the
word "Slann", and they immediately go into fetal position.
I will gladly playtest the Slann mage in a mech and the time
mage in a mech at 500 points a pop, just to prove that they
are a waste of points. Hey, lets test a 500 point Slann Mage
in a mech against a Leviathan or Colossus, they're about
the same cost. That'd be fun ;)

Rune