Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules [LONG]

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:32:31 +0200

Comments next to each rule/comment. I agree on everything unless noted

Albert
  I've never been happy with the introduction of 25 point increments. I
  like the old 50 point scheme since it yielded a cleaner result and the
  above problem did not occur. I'd like to return to that if people agree.
  To adjust the points would be easy as we would just round everything
  upwards to the higher 50's bracket. For example a unit worth 225, would
  be worth 250, etc. This would not impact much since it happens to
  everything so it affects all units and armies equally.

  ---> I agree, free cards and "cheaper units dicount will balance any rounded prices

  I think this is the time to introduce alternate "objectives" to make the
  game more interesting and promote other battles beyond the usual
  set-piece battle. Epic 40k has some good ideas in this regard. Note
  these rules would be "advanced" as well as optional.

  ---->Alternate objectives should be known in advance, prior to chosing army composition. Another point of view is allowing alternate objectives only in scenarios and campaigns. Seems quite unfair to randomize alternate objectives AFTER chosing army composition. A breaktrough kind objectives will result in disadvantage when you focused your strategy in artillery and waiting for them to come. No general will design a force without knowing what it is intended for.

  I'd propose as a basic rule or an advance one, that objectives ONLY be
  awarded if a player has eradicated all enemy units with 15cm of the
  objective. This, of course, increases the lethality involved taking
  objective since it is no longer "the closest" who takes the objective,
  but he who destroyed ALL units within 15cm of an objective. This
  accounts for different tactics and game play. Opinions?

  ---> I think this will allow for some Cheesy tactics. I'd leave it as it is now.

  "IV. End Phase
  1. Attempt to repair damaged Titans.
  2. Attempt to rally troops on Fall Back Orders.
  3. Attempt to regenerate wounds accumulated on regenerating
  creatures.
  4. Victory Points are added up and the game winner determined."

  Are their any other things to add to the end phase list?

  ---> Objectives claim. The effect may change depending on it's position. For example before or after rallying troops. I think objectives should be claimed BEFORE rallying, but AFTER reapiring.

  I thought the best way to give HQ's their ability and also stem such
  behavior was to change the rule so that HQ's can "move at their ADVANCE
  rate and first fire". It gives them great flexibility, but limits cheesy
  ploys.

  In any event the original statement needs to include that HQ's that move
  CAN NOT snap fire and the statement " Also, command units have the
  privilege to move in any segment of the movement phase (charge or
  advance)" needs to be removed since it refers to rules that no longer
  exist (the movement phase is no longer divided into phases).

  --->I'd allow them to charge, so they can keep with their troops. Le'ts say they don't need orders, can move up to cahrge rate and fire depending on they move (No move, FIRST FIRE /SNAP FIRE, up to normal rate FIRST FIRE, normal rate to charge rate ADVANCED FIRE).

  "Models embarked and the model transporting them may be given different
  orders from each other, even for models that are listed as a single
  detachment. This means a commander may give Advance Orders to the
  transport while giving Charge Orders to the troops on board. Even after
  they are disembarked, models may still be given separate orders, but
  models, which are a single detachment, must try to remain in unit
  coherency distance. Some order combinations, such as giving embarked
  troops First Fire orders, may preclude disembarking. Under no
  circumstances may embarked models fire from within transports. In
  simpler terms, giving embarked troops First Fire orders is useless since
  they cannot disembark or fire."

  What do people think about this order? Is it still worthy?

  ---> This rule should be reworded as "Under no circumstances may embarked models fire from within transports." it's not true (Imperator Titan, Capitol Imperialis?), I propose (correct my poor English, please) "Embarked models cannot fire from within transports, unless specificly stated in the transport vehicle rules".
  "Models carried by transports that are destroyed by incoming fire are
  allowed a "bail out" save. Roll a d6 for each model in the transport.
  For every roll of 4+ one model is saved and is placed besides the
  destroyed vehicle. The weapon save modifier modifies this save. This
  means that a weapon that hits and destroys the transport also modifies
  the "bail out" save. In cases where the modifier is very high (weapons
  with a modifier of -3 or greater) the model gets no save. Units with
  fixed saves receive a bail out roll as described above but weapon
  modifiers will not modify such a units save beyond its fixed save."

  No change.
  --->I think troops inside Titans shouldn't get this save roll. Same for Skimmers and Flyers (unless troops wear Jet Packs or similar).

        "Transporting Light Artillery
  Light artillery pieces can be towed or carried by vehicles, as well as
  manhandled by their crews. When moved by the troopers these move at the
  rate specified by their definitions. When towed by, or transported
  inside vehicles, they are subject to vehicle rules."

  No change.

  "Wartracks and War Buggies can tow Ork Hop Splats, and Rhinos and
  Chimeras can tow Thudd Guns. This is done by one vehicle per one
  artillery piece. Mole Mortar, Rapier, Tarantula, Scorpion AA batteries
  can be transported by Rhinos, Shokk Attack Guns by Rhinos and
  Battlewagons, Vibro and Lascannons can be transported by Falcons. These
  count as infantry stands for the purposes of transportation."

  No change.

  ---> Either in this part or in the shooting phase, it should be stated that transported artillery cannot fire during the turn it is transported. IMHO artillery needs more preparation to shoot than infantry.

  Also, I'd like to include if units have flight packs or jump packs, they
  should receive a save as per the rules above. All other troops die.

  I addition flier transports should not be required to land if they have
  troops with jump/flight packs.

  --->Agree

  "Special Rule: Flyers, Floaters and AA units
        Orders"

  Note: I recommend that fliers in general be considered "advanced" rules.
  Opinions?

  --->Agree. Absolutely

  "Flyers receive and use the same orders as for all units in Net Epic.
  The orders however have slightly different meaning:"

  "First Fire- This order may only given to flyers capable of transporting
  troops. This permits the flyer to fly in an evasive pattern as it flies
  to the drop zone. Incoming fire receives a -1 penalty to hit a flyer
  with this order. The flyer on first fire orders may land and deploy its
  troops. It remains on the ground until the next turn where it can be
  given orders normally. Flyers may also use their weapons once they land
  (those that are permitted to do so)."

  I also proposed some time ago that this order be used as to simulate
  escorting a unit on advance orders. The only thing the escorting unit
  can do is protect it from dogfights since they have to be engaged first.
  Opinions?

  --->I agree (but I don't see a lot of benefit, unless there were lots of Flyers. I'll rate it as optional. What happens with a second attacker? and a third?)

  "Flyer attacks are against the topmost part of vehicles. This armor is
  thinner than frontal armor and it is considered as thick as side armor.
  This gives flyer attacks an additional -1 bonus to the save modifier of
  their weapons (a flyer weapon with a -1 modifier now becomes -2). This
  bonus applies only to vehicles, not infantry, titans, knights or units
  with "all round" armor. Target designation and resolution is as per
  standard rule."

  We would need to add it applies to super heavies too, they should be
  vulnerable to airstikes. Opinions?

  --->Agree. The best tactic against tanks is air superiority. I would only save infantry though.

  "Units designated as anti-aircraft units can fire at flyers effectively.
  These units may "snap fire" at flyers in the movement phase as snap fire
  without the -1 "snap fire" to hit penalty."

  If accepted we will add categories to AA weapons:

  Static: expensive, long range, low firepower but high impact, cannot
  target ground units in the same turn as air units.

  Mobile: Cheap, short range, high firepower, low impact, can target air
  and ground normally.

  Opinions?

  --->I would add to weapon stats: AA only or AA posible instead of mobile or Static. Of course most of Static AA guns should be AA only.

  "Only flyers may engage other flyers in close combat. Resolution is as
  per standard close combat rules."

  We need to include fliers are not pinned by anything, even other fliers.
  Fliers engaged in dogfights on advance orders can still complete their
  attack runs even if engaged.

  --->agree

        "Unit Movement and Turning
  Models may turn as often as desired during movement. At the end of
  movement the model must face the direction of travel but may make a
  45-degree correction. Titans/ Praetorians are an exception to this rule.
  Most Titans/ Praetorians can only make one 90-degree turn during
  movement."

  NO change.

  --->Under advanced rules I would reword "Most Titans/ Praetorians can only make a total of 90-degree turning during movement, either in one 90-degree turn or a sum of shorter turns (for example two 45-degree turns.". That's the way or group always plays. Opinions?

        "Models off Table
  Models that for whatever reasons are moved off the table (due to
  attacks, scatter die rolls from tunnellers and Drop Pods, etc.) are
  removed from play. These lost models count towards Break Point
  determination."

  Harsh but acceptable, especially if teleportation is added.

  ---> Are models in tunnelers not surfaced yet and transports waiting to appear also counted?

  This ends the first part ending at page 16.

  Peter

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor