Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules [LONG]

From: Weasel Fierce <septimus__at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:47:57 +0000

>"Special Rule: Purchasing Redundant Units
>Some of the units in NetEpic are specific to a certain race, army, clan
>or chapter. For example there is only one of each clan for Orks, and
>only one Ravenwing for Space Marine�s Dark Angels chapter. Purchasing
>more than one of any such cards is not allowed in normal games. The
>players, however, are allowed to buy more than one of these cards in
>large games, subject to the rule that: To purchase a second of a unique
>card, the player must have already bought at least 3000 points worth of
>other units belonging to the race, army, clan or chapter under
>consideration. This rule applies to normal formations represented by
>company and detachment cards, and not to named special characters or to
>Greater Daemons."
>
>This rule seems to have worked well over the years since its adoption.

Yeah, its a nice rule. But...the army lists need to clearly show which units
are covered by this rule. So it is all clear and ovbious, particularly to
players who arent all familiar with 40K

>I think this is the time to introduce alternate "objectives" to make the
>game more interesting and promote other battles beyond the usual
>set-piece battle. Epic 40k has some good ideas in this regard. Note
>these rules would be "advanced" as well as optional.

A very good idea. Something to elevate the types of games and battles that
can be played

>I'd propose as a basic rule or an advance one, that objectives ONLY be
>awarded if a player has eradicated all enemy units with 15cm of the
>objective. This, of course, increases the lethality involved taking
>objective since it is no longer "the closest" who takes the objective,
>but he who destroyed ALL units within 15cm of an objective. This
>accounts for different tactics and game play. Opinions?

This might work well. It certainly makes sense, as an army try to "clear"
the area around the location.

>I thought the best way to give HQ's their ability and also stem such
>behavior was to change the rule so that HQ's can "move at their ADVANCE
>rate and first fire". It gives them great flexibility, but limits cheesy
>ploys.

I think we may need to cut down on the number of HQ units. Perhaps make a
difference between HQ and "Hero" (or something similar)

HQ's have the targeting abilities of command units but use normal orders.
Heroes work like command units do now. What about this ?

> "Transport Vehicles

I would like transport vehicles to calcaulate their movement in a simpler
and faster way when troops embark / disembark. The way it works in E40K is
simple and efficient. Both the infantry and the vehicle spend 5 cm of their
movement for each embark / disembark

>"Models embarked and the model transporting them may be given different
>orders from each other, even for models that are listed as a single
>detachment. This means a commander may give Advance Orders to the
>transport while giving Charge Orders to the troops on board. Even after
>they are disembarked, models may still be given separate orders, but
>models, which are a single detachment, must try to remain in unit
>coherency distance. Some order combinations, such as giving embarked
>troops First Fire orders, may preclude disembarking. Under no
>circumstances may embarked models fire from within transports. In
>simpler terms, giving embarked troops First Fire orders is useless since
>they cannot disembark or fire."
>
>What do people think about this order? Is it still worthy?

I think giving seperate orders to 3 rhinos is a little over the top but it
may bethe only way to work it.

>"Special Rule: Flyers, Floaters and AA units
> Orders"
>
>Note: I recommend that fliers in general be considered "advanced" rules.
>Opinions?

Flyers should be optional rules IMO.

>7. Artillery units may not Snap Fire. This also extends to
>Titan/Praetorian weapons that are armed with barrage/artillery weapons
>(other non-artillery/barrage weapons on a Titan/Praetorian may Snap
>Fire)."
>
>We need to add that units with robotic minds (or spirit stones) do not
>fire at a penalty.

Give this a standardized title "Robotic targeting" or similar. And then add
this in the army list rather than describing it for each unit. That way, we
also avoid rules contradictions. The description of robotic targeting would
then be clarified in the core rules. Same goes for Infiltration, snipers,
stealth and other abilities common to several units.

Weasel