RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules [LONG] Darr H Comments

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:18:51 -0400

What is the ruling if after once having cleared the objective for 15cm,
the
opponent gets another unit within the zone and it is closer than the
player
currently holding the objective. Does it then become contested or does
it
go to the opponent's unit if the current objective holder does not have
unit within 15cm of that objective?

It becomes contested. Mind you, only units that are not on fallback
orders count as to claim objectives.

To gain the +1 To Hit (TH) bonus, does the target unit have to be using
the
bonus at the time of the shot or does the unit have to have been on the
road
from the start to the finish of its move.

When we get to the buildings/fortifications part of the revision there
are a few changes I'd like to institute, including a change in this
"road" rule, which I don't like much. The rule you refer to needs to be
changes since I'm not quite sure it makes sense.

>"Models embarked and the model transporting them may be given different
>orders from each other, even for models that are listed as a single
>detachment. This means a commander may give Advance Orders to the
>transport while giving Charge Orders to the troops on board. Even
after
>they are disembarked, models may still be given separate orders, but
>models, which are a single detachment, must try to remain in unit
>coherency distance. Some order combinations, such as giving embarked
>troops First Fire orders, may preclude disembarking. Under no
>circumstances may embarked models fire from within transports. In
>simpler terms, giving embarked troops First Fire orders is useless
since
>they cannot disembark or fire."
>
>What do people think about this order? Is it still worthy?

This order assumes that there will be no open topped vehicles (OTV) in
the
game. There are some squad/troop types (eg Trukkboys in wartrukks, Dark
Elf
Raiders, Genestealer Cult vehicles) in WH40K that are not in this game
yet
which could theoretically be mounted in an OTV and could still fire if
moving. The types of vehicle I am talking are typically Light Truck
Size
(eg Wartrukks, Raiders). These vehicles (especially wartrukks) can also

carry heavier ordnance portee style in the tray of the truck and also be

fired from the vehicle (this was done in world war II by all sides to
gain
mobile AT guns, especially in the Desert).

Granted, but for playabilities sake I'd probably abstract it in some
form, perhaps granting a bonus to fire to the vehicles weapons to
simulate the extra firepower from mounted units. To compensate I'd give
no "bail-out" save to units embarked in an open-topped vehicle if it's
destroyed.

>"Models carried by transports that are destroyed by incoming fire are
>allowed a "bail out" save. Roll a d6 for each model in the transport.
>For every roll of 4+ one model is saved and is placed besides the
>destroyed vehicle. The weapon save modifier modifies this save. This
>means that a weapon that hits and destroys the transport also modifies
>the "bail out" save. In cases where the modifier is very high (weapons
>with a modifier of -3 or greater) the model gets no save. Units with
>fixed saves receive a bail out roll as described above but weapon
>modifiers will not modify such a units save beyond its fixed save."

See above comment reference OTV and that units who known to practically
live
in their Transport vehicle (eg Trukkboyz, Dark Elf Raider Squads) should

maybe get a 4+ save with a 6+ invulnerable save for this event only.

See above.

> "Transporting Light Artillery
>Light artillery pieces can be towed or carried by vehicles, as well as
>manhandled by their crews. When moved by the troopers these move at the
>rate specified by their definitions. When towed by, or transported
>inside vehicles, they are subject to vehicle rules."

Again, this does not allow for Kult of speed Armies, for example, who
can
have guntrukks with Big Lobbas, Kannons, LiftaDroppas mounted portee in
their wartrukks.

Hmm.. not sure I follow you on this one, so whats the problem? Or
remedy?

>"A Flyer moves in a straight line between its starting point and its
>destination. A flyer may make as many turns as it wishes at the
>beginning and end of its move."

Allow flyers to move Nap Of the Earth (NOE) with as speed & visibility
restriction and not lower than a 2 contour level/tier hill. This allows

ground attack flyers to move around as aircraft like the A10 do or
Skyraider
did.

>"Flyers are unimpeded by terrain features and suffer none of the
>restrictions associated with them."

See previous comment, maybe if they are hit, it can modify their saving
roll
or collide with a feature or the ground.

If we want something like this, perhaps they have enhanced potential to
strike at targets, will vulnerable from more ground fire. Suggestions?

Peter