Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules [LONG] Darr H Comments

From: Darryl Hilbig <darrylhilbig_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:29:29

See below for comments. Any areas that have been deleted I do not have a
comment about and agree to.

Darryl H

The theory and practice of gamesmanship or
The art of winning games without actually cheating.
(Title of book - Stephen Potter 1900-69)

>From: "Peter Ramos" <primarch_at_...>
>Subject: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules [LONG]
>Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:21:12 -0400

>"Capturing Objectives
>Controlling battlefield objectives earns 5 VP�s per objective under
>yourcontrol during the end phase. To claim an objective you need to have a
>non-fleeing model (a unit not on fallback orders) within 15 cm of the
>Objective Marker and the model must be closer to the objective than any
>opposing model. If models from both armies are equally distant from the
>objective, it is considered �Contested� and neither player receives Victory
>Points for the objective. Models engaged in close combat (�pinned�) do not
>count for holding objectives. You are not required to keep a model within
>15 cm of an objective in order to hold it from turn to turn, once captured
>the objective remains under control of the capturing player until an
>opposing non-fleeing model moves to within 15 cm of the objective."
>
>I'd propose as a basic rule or an advance one, that objectives ONLY be
>awarded if a player has eradicated all enemy units with 15cm of the
>objective. This, of course, increases the lethality involved taking
>objective since it is no longer "the closest" who takes the objective,
>but he who destroyed ALL units within 15cm of an objective. This
>accounts for different tactics and game play. Opinions?

What is the ruling if after once having cleared the objective for 15cm, the
opponent gets another unit within the zone and it is closer than the player
currently holding the objective. Does it then become contested or does it
go to the opponent's unit if the current objective holder does not have a
unit within 15cm of that objective?

>"All units taking advantage of the road movement bonus are said to be in
>"Road Mode" and are more subject to enemy fire. All units directly
>firing at a model in Road Mode receive a bonus to hit of +1. Template
>attacks have no bonus whatsoever."

To gain the +1 To Hit (TH) bonus, does the target unit have to be using the
bonus at the time of the shot or does the unit have to have been on the road
from the start to the finish of its move.

>"Models embarked and the model transporting them may be given different
>orders from each other, even for models that are listed as a single
>detachment. This means a commander may give Advance Orders to the
>transport while giving Charge Orders to the troops on board. Even after
>they are disembarked, models may still be given separate orders, but
>models, which are a single detachment, must try to remain in unit
>coherency distance. Some order combinations, such as giving embarked
>troops First Fire orders, may preclude disembarking. Under no
>circumstances may embarked models fire from within transports. In
>simpler terms, giving embarked troops First Fire orders is useless since
>they cannot disembark or fire."
>
>What do people think about this order? Is it still worthy?

This order assumes that there will be no open topped vehicles (OTV) in the
game. There are some squad/troop types (eg Trukkboys in wartrukks, Dark Elf
Raiders, Genestealer Cult vehicles) in WH40K that are not in this game yet
which could theoretically be mounted in an OTV and could still fire if
moving. The types of vehicle I am talking are typically Light Truck Size
(eg Wartrukks, Raiders). These vehicles (especially wartrukks) can also
carry heavier ordnance portee style in the tray of the truck and also be
fired from the vehicle (this was done in world war II by all sides to gain
mobile AT guns, especially in the Desert).

>"Models carried by transports that are destroyed by incoming fire are
>allowed a �bail out� save. Roll a d6 for each model in the transport.
>For every roll of 4+ one model is saved and is placed besides the
>destroyed vehicle. The weapon save modifier modifies this save. This
>means that a weapon that hits and destroys the transport also modifies
>the �bail out� save. In cases where the modifier is very high (weapons
>with a modifier of �3 or greater) the model gets no save. Units with
>fixed saves receive a bail out roll as described above but weapon
>modifiers will not modify such a units save beyond its fixed save."

See above comment reference OTV and that units who known to practically live
in their Transport vehicle (eg Trukkboyz, Dark Elf Raider Squads) should
maybe get a 4+ save with a 6+ invulnerable save for this event only.

> "Transporting Light Artillery
>Light artillery pieces can be towed or carried by vehicles, as well as
>manhandled by their crews. When moved by the troopers these move at the
>rate specified by their definitions. When towed by, or transported
>inside vehicles, they are subject to vehicle rules."

Again, this does not allow for Kult of speed Armies, for example, who can
have guntrukks with Big Lobbas, Kannons, LiftaDroppas mounted portee in
their wartrukks.

>"A Flyer moves in a straight line between its starting point and its
>destination. A flyer may make as many turns as it wishes at the
>beginning and end of its move."

Allow flyers to move Nap Of the Earth (NOE) with as speed & visibility
restriction and not lower than a 2 contour level/tier hill. This allows
ground attack flyers to move around as aircraft like the A10 do or Skyraider
did.

>"Flyers are unimpeded by terrain features and suffer none of the
>restrictions associated with them."

See previous comment, maybe if they are hit, it can modify their saving roll
or collide with a feature or the ground.

>"Units designated as anti-aircraft units can fire at flyers effectively.
>These units may �snap fire� at flyers in the movement phase as snap fire
>without the �1 �snap fire� to hit penalty."
>
>If accepted we will add categories to AA weapons:

I propose the following additions:

>Static: expensive, long range, low firepower but high impact, cannot
>target ground units in the same turn as air units.

Static: can also target any vehicle using flight characteristics (eg
skimmers going over terrain at high speeds (over half normal move), infantry
using flight packs (not jump packs wich give a hopping movement), orbital
assault vehicles (eg drop pods, genestealer spores etc), thrusters not
flying NOE, vehicles flying NOE if in clear LOS.

Also, for these exra capabilities, the unit should not be able to move
without assistance and should take 1 turn with the Transporting Unit in base
to base contact to packup and setup at each end of the move.

>Mobile: Cheap, short range, high firepower, low impact, can target air
>and ground normally.

Mobile: Should be able to fire even on advance fire orders but with a
-1 penalty as these units are the support AA for mobile Battle Groups (BG)
and only target ground attacking flyers within LOS if they are NOE.

>Opinions?

See above

>Fliers engaged in dogfights on advance orders can still complete their
>attack runs even if engaged.

This is okay, but there should be a -1 or -2 penalty to their shooting
depending on the succes or failure of the dogfight/Air Defense directed at
them to account for the distraction or change in course of their attack
runs.

>1. "Snap Fire may only be performed by units on First Fire orders.

If suggested mods to AA unit types are accepted, then the cheap AA units
would be an exception to this rule when carrying out AA fire on the move
(Advance Fire only)

>3. Snap Fire imposes a -1 penalty to hit. Units classed as AA do
>not incur this penalty.

As before, if AA unit type mod accepted; the cheap units would have the -1
penalty when doing AA on the move.