Re: Son of HQ Targeting

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:24:49 -0400

>Weasel's proposal was:
>o Roll targeting aquisition die, 6+ you can continue, if you fail
>you lose your shot.

My mistake. I can deal with that much better than 1-in-36. I don't like the
thought that I'm risking an entire detachment's worth of fire, but I'll
accept it as the cost of firing at HQs. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I assume the 'unless the HQ is the closest or more than 10cm away from
things in it's pinning class' remains? I can agree that an HQ in the midst
of other troops is harder to shoot at, but on it's own it should be fair game.

>Buildings are targets-period. You get no benefit from the
>targeting roll or by being close to a detachment.

I object to this. There shouldn't be any change in being able to identify
HQs if they're inside buildings. My statement that you can always target
buildings was intended to mean just that - you can shoot the *building*
without penalty regardless of who's in it. Let's leave Weasel's 6+ roll
alone, no matter where the HQ is.

The question of barrages also remains. I'm not willing to subject barrages
to the same 1-in-6-or-lose-it roll - I can already see players abusing
this. Can we word the restriction so that you can place templates anywhere
you wish, but you still have to make the 1-in-6 in order to have a To-Hit
roll against the HQ? Even if you fail that roll you still get to make
To-Hit rolls against everyone else under the template.

+++++ Yes, that will put a lot of artillery onto HQs, but it's now only 16%
as effective. If you're willing to devote an entire Artillery Company's
fire to kill one unit, I think you ought to be allowed to do so.

+++++

>----> On a separate note actual HQ units (company leaders) should get
>this benefit, but do units like medics, psykers and such deserve it?
>Peter

I think they do - they're small units of important people and deserve some
additional protection. If you could shoot them down like a common trooper
I'd want to pay about half the current price for them.

However, I also think that units not actually in charge of a company
shouldn't get the Command ability. This includes the medic, psyker, farseer
and so on. They'd be HQ units and enjoy the targeting restrictions, but not
Command and get to move farther & faster. Thoughts?
-Yar