[v5.0]Core rules: HQ units.

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:00:48 -0400

Hi!

I had started this post earlier today, but erased it. After seeing that
the HQ "problem" is a pretty tough cookie I decided I'd go ahead and
post it.

I don't have a problem with detailed rules or complex targeting caveats
for HQ units. My problem stems from doing a lot of work for units that
do...well...nothing!

Ask you're self what to HQ units do in Net Epic? Do they command? No. Do
they have a control function? No. Is a company detachment really that
hindered by their demise? No.

So my point is HQ units behave as anything but HQ units. Their sole
worth is based on their ability to move and first fire. That's it. Even
armies like IG where a semblance of command and control exists you can
bypass with free commissars or buying units like roughriders and bikes.

So what are we protecting with these targeting rules? The naked truth
is-not much.

This brings me to believe that first we need to make HQ's into something
that acts like a real HQ unit before we run off to zealously protect
them with rules.

Of course I have a couple of thoughts I'd like to share. No, they are
not drastically different mechanics that don't fit with the current core
rules or overly complex rules. I used what we have and concepts that
already exist.

Here they are:

As it stands only two armies have any "line of command", but why not all
armies? I understand Eldar, SM and others are "flexible" but to the
point of having no command? Quite silly. Just think how changed a space
marine army would be if we removed all the HQ units from the rules as
they stand. The fact is they would NOT change. They are superfluous
units in those armies. Again quite silly. Why not then make all HQ units
have a command radius just like the IG HQ units do? Now you would say
but Eldar and SM don't huddle around their HQ units like IG they have a
more flexible combat doctrine. True, for that we also institute in all
armies that in order for a detachment to receive an order counter that
turn they need to be in the HQ units command radius (just like IG), but
units outside the command radius can receive orders if they pass a
morale test. In case of SM and other armies this is mostly easy since
marines only miss on a one. But that's the point that gives them their
flexibility, but still conserves a margin of risk. What if that that
vital detachment rolls a one? The larger the army the more that "1"
issue becomes important.

More importantly is that people will use their HQ as true command and
control because getting an order is not automatic. Even SM has to be
careful since losing their HQ means rolling for everything to get an
order, probability WILL catch up usually at a bad time too.

The change is simple but of profound effect on how you play your army
and HQ's. Marine players will husband their HQ to "critical" points to
make certain they get the orders they need and the desire to T-hawk
groups indiscriminately goes down since that unit deep into enemy
territory might not always obey your orders to the letter.

Elite units become precious since as a part of their "skills" they
automatically get orders regardless of command status.

HQ's become quite important this way don't they? So how will the rules
to protect them work?

What ever the command radius is becomes the HQ's safety zone. That means
as long as he has friendly detachments within the command radius he is
"safe". Now safe doesn't mean he can't get shot at, it means that
outside this zone he is fair game to be shot at as per normal rules.
Therefore it behooves the player to keep his HQ's acting as such always
in contact with its detachments. HQ's out in the open away from friendly
detachments (outside his command radius) or shuttling between two far
away detachments are at risk!

Within the "safe" zone it is one thing to be between unit coherency
distance and maximum command distance and another to be mixed in with
the detachment (unit coherency distance). It's safer to be mixed in for
the purposes of direct fire, but dangerous due to barrages. ON the other
hand standing off at a further distance within the command radius makes
direct fire more of a problem, but you are safe from directly targeted
barrages. We represent these as follows:

If the command unit is in unit coherency of a detachment he benefits
from the amount of people close by to protect him. When a detachment
that contains a HQ unit is fired upon roll attack dice normally. In
addition also roll 2d6 (if you have different colored dice roll them all
simultaneously, if not roll separately it does not matter). See if you
got any hits ass normal, if you do check the result of the 2d6. If the
result is greater (not equal to or less) than the amount of remaining
stands in the detachment (not counting the HQ unit) one of those hits
goes against the command unit. If the roll is equal or less determine
casualties normally amongst non-HQ units.

Example: Four terminator stands fire at and imperial guard tactical
platoon (ten stands) with attached HQ unit. The attack dice come up with
4 hits. The "separate" 2d6 are rolled and the roll is 11. Eleven is
greater than 10 which is the amount of models in the detachment, so one
of those four hits goes to the HQ unit. Had the roll been 10 or less the
four hits MUST be spread amongst the tactical stands

Note: you may run into the situation where the unit has more than 12
models making hitting the HQ impossible. This is done on purpose since I
believe the odds of hitting a HQ unit in such a mob are too slim to
represent. This benefits ork armies, but they need it since command and
control is very critical to them in comparison with other armies.

Second note: When attacked by a barrage attack resolve whether or not
the HQ is in the blast the same way as with direct fire.

If the HQ unit is not in unit coherency more than 6cm) but within
command radius firing at HQ units is as follows:

Units may only spot and fire at a command unit if they are with half the
range of the firing units weapon. This is because its hard to spot a HQ
unit on its own because they take great pains to hide/camoflague
themselves. So the firing unit needs to "creep in" to really get a bead
on them.

Example: A group of IG tactical are within 30cm of a group of nobz.
Since the range of their weapons is 50cm, half would be 25cm. They are
thus to far and cannot fire at the HQ units. Had they been within 25cm
they could had fired using the normal rules.

Note: Since they represent a small target on the move they CAN NOT be
nominated for barrage attacks. Unless a nearby barrage scatters and hits
them they are effectively immune to targeting from artillery weapons (as
it happens in real life, barrage fires at targets that it can pin down).

The strength and weaknesses are each approach is obvious. If you keep
them in unit coherency with a detachment they benefit from the screening
effect of other units, but nothing stops the opponent from directing
merciless firepower and wiping you and your detachment out. If you keep
the HQ away, it can't be targeted by artillery directly and the enemy
must "move in" to spot you, but once he does he fires at you normally
and your pretty much toast.

Well that's my bit. At the very least consider applying the targeting
rules is you don't like making HQ units into actual command and control
units.

To be frank, I am agreeing more and more with Eivind to leave the rules
as they are IF HQ units are left as they are.

Comments please!

Peter