Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core Rules: Titans and Preatorians

From: Zerloon <zerloon_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 01:17:41 +0200

At 09.10 24/04/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi!

Hi!!!!

>Eldar Titans use a different protective system known as Holo-fields. This
>device wreaks havoc on targeting systems making them difficult to hit.
>Also the dispersion of the field and the distortion it produces is
>dependent on the speed the Eldar Titan is moving. To represent this Eldar
>Titans receive an un-modifiable save against incoming shots according to
>the orders issued. This is shown in the following table.
>
>Titan Is On: Save
>First Fire Orders 4+ Fixed
>Advance Orders 3+ Fixed
>Charge Orders 2+ Fixed
>
>Holo-fields are ineffectual against weapons that use any kind or template.
>This is due to the fact these attacks do not rely on pinpoint accuracy to
>deal out damage. Therefore Eldar Titans do not receive a Holo-field save
>against attacks that use a template. However since aiming is a problem
>barrages ALWAYS scatter regardless of whether the barrage is direct or not.
>
>----> As pointed out this wording is horrible. It will be changed to
>clearly state that barrage weapons ignore holofield saves but always
>scatter, even direct barrages.

Please make clearer IF and HOW holofield work against direct template
(doomwing flamer) or psichic power (mind blast) or everything sreange that
is actually not cover. Holofield are a very strange type of defense and
need much more example.

>Titans and Close Combat
>Titans are fearsome opponents in close combat. To represent this Titans
>possess several special rules regarding close combat. Titans engaged by
>other Titans, Praetorians, Super Heavy vehicles and Knights resolve close
>combat as per the standard rules described under close combat rules.
>
>Close combat is resolved by each player rolling 2D6 and adding the close
>assault factor of the engaged model to the dice result, these values
>appear in each unit's description. Once the dice are rolled and the close
>assault factors (CAF) added the player with the highest total wins. If the
>loser is a Titan or Praetorian, the winner then chooses a location on the
>opponent and rolls for damage (see the section on Damage above). There
>will not be any location scatter and saving rolls. Super-Heavies and
>Knights that lose a round of close combat are destroyed without any rolls
>on their damage tables (if any). See the related sections in the
>Tech-Guard and Ork chapters for the special rules about Imperator Titans
>and Mega Gargants.
>
>Models that do not belong to the above groups (i.e. Infantry, Vehicles,
>Bikes, Cavalry) follow these special rules:
>
>The first level of defense is the titan�€™s anti-personnel weapon. Be it
>an electro-hull or a bunch of mad snotlings the effect is the same. Roll a
>d6 for each troop stand engaged with the titan. On a roll of 5+ the stand
>SURVIVES the titan�€™s anti-personnel weapons. Once all survivors have
>been determined they fight one round of close combat with the titan as per
>the standard close combat rules for titans outlined above.
>
>In the case of vehicles the same rules outlined as above apply, but they
>use their own armor save instead of the 5+ save for troops.
>
>When units that are affected by the titan's defence system (such as troops
>and vehicles) and units immune to the defence system (like other titans,
>praetorians, knights and super heavies) attack the same titan
>simultaneously, resolve each combat SEPARATELY. That is either resolve the
>close combat between the titan and the infantry/vehicles or the group
>containing knights, super heavies, etc. This is to avoid the ploy of
>attacking the titan with a swarm or cheap troops and adding on knight
>class units (or greater) and thus getting extra d'6 to the close combat
>thus making it easier to defeat the titan. In effect each combat is
>independent of the other. The attacking player (since he has the most
>models involved) may select in which order the close combat is resolved.
>
>----> As per our discussions this whole section will be redone. The new
>rule is that titans follow the same rules everything else does, except
>that it gains a bonus of an extra 2d6 in close combat versus infantry (for
>a total of 4d6) and an extra d6 versus vehicles (for a total of 3d6).
>Elite units reduce the extra dice by one.

I'll keep save of 5+ for infantry, or at least the "never outnumbered" rules.

> Elite Units
>Units designated as elite have a higher chance of surviving an encounter
>with a titan in close combat. An elite model survives the titan�€™s
>anti-personnel weapons on a roll of 4+ instead of the standard 5+. In
>addition elite units may engage in selective pinning. This means a unit of
>elite troops does not have to engage all models in a unit before it can
>gang up on one or more models. In essence it may pick and choose which
>stands they may engage while ignoring others.
>
>----> This will be reintegrated in the core rules besides the command unit
>rules. Of course there is still the issue of what this means. One great
>idea given to me was that elite units should get a re-roll, perhaps ONE
>per turn, be it a save, to hit or close combat. I thought this was a very
>good idea since I wouldn't like to give bonuses to stats and such since
>elite units already have high ones. A re-roll is a good compromise.
>
>Opinions?

Ok for reroll, but once per game.

>Peter

Zerloon