[NetEpic ML] Re: Helping Titans Survive the Modern World.....

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:07:13 -0800

Kelvin, I have some ideas for your Armor System.

As I see it the problems are two. Shields are not strong enough vs.
small weapons; and heads, reactors, and legs are too vulnerable. Larger
titans should have stronger armor, smaller titans less. Most people
like the titan templates as they are now, so they can roll aiming dice.
My proposed modification to your plan. Simple, and easy.

Make ablative armor reduce by the armor save modifier of the attacking
weapon.

So: A Devastator would reduce the armor by 1 point.
    A Landraider would reduce the armor by 2 points.
    A Tempests Laser would reduce the armor by 3 points.
    A Titan Plasma Destructor would reduce the armor by 6 points.

When the Ablative Armor is reduced to 0, roll a normal save
(with save modifiers,) for that location, for the rest of the game.

Example:

A tempest Laser hits a Warlord titan's reactor location with
3 Ablative Armor Points remaining. The three points of ablative armor
have now been completly removed, the location must now make a normal
saving throw. The saving throw for that location is a 2+, as mormal.

If another shot hits the same location, the ablative armor will not
absorb any more damage, because it had been removed by the earlier shot.
Save again, as normal, for that location.

Warlords should have Ablative values of:

Head 6 pts.
Reactor 5 pts. (Because the reactor is exposed on front and back.)
All legs 3 pts. (The lower legs have a variable save value.)
All other locations 2 pts.

Reavers should have values lower than Warlords because of smaller size.

Head 5 pts.
Reactor 2pts. (Because it's only exposed in the rear.)
All legs 2 pts.
All other locations 1 pt.

Warhound Scout Titans should have values of:

Head 3pts. (The small titan template are part of thier protecton.)
Reactor 1pt (Because it's only exposed in the rear.)
All legs 1 pt.
All other locations 0 pts.

The other problem is that shields are as vulnerable to Devastators as
they are to a Titan Plasma Destructor. Why not increase the number of
shields by a factor of 2, but reduce them, when hit, by the weapon's
save modifier?

So: A Devastator would reduce 1 shield.
    A Landraider would reduce 2 shields.
    A Tempest Laser would reduce 3 shields.
    A Titan Plasma Destructor would reduce 6 shields.

The Warlord, would now have double the number of shields (to 12,) they
would operate the same way, and regenerate the same way.

All other units with shields could also use the same rules. There would
be little need for any kind of points cost adjustment.

Titans and other units with templates, would need to be evaluated, and
adjusted for Ablative Armor and increased Cost.

This entire system would need to be play tested.

What do you think?

Warprat