Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core rules: fortifications

From: Steve Kerry <steve_kerry_uk_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 19:29:03 +0100 (BST)

> I remember how historians bagged the
> Kubrick film "Paths of Glory" because the trenches
> were too wide. He made them
> wide so he could run his old style camera dolley
> along it, but even then they
> weren't all that wide.

The same criticism was made of Star Trek, that the
corridors on the starship Enterprise were much too
wide. They also were made that size simply so the
camera dolly could travel along them.

In reality, I would expect a trench to be just wide
enough for two men to squeeze past each other (hence
the name 'slit trench'). If it is wide enough for a
car to drive down the middle, it is no longer a
trench.

> I've certainly seen photos of
> actual trenches that were
> narrow enough for horses to jump.

A lot of WW1 trenches were narrow enough for a man to
jump!

Steve