Re: [v5.0] Core Rules addition - Common Special Abilities

From: antichrist666it <seimejote_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 21:05:42 -0000

--- In netepic_at_y..., Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_m...> wrote:
> >I've written another chapter that IMHO should be added to the
NetEpic
> >v5.0 Core Rules... a description of the most common special
abilities

> This follows my post (Message #13008) quite well - thanks. *grin*
You
> missed a few, though, and I've a few comments on others.
>
> First, the ones we agree on:
>
> AI, D�mon Hunter, Fear, Fearless, Infiltration, Jump Packs / Wings,
> Mechanic, Medic, Sniper, Stealth, Terror
>

> Then there're the ones you missed:
>
> Cavalry (the IG ones)
> +++++ This could be included in the Imperial Guard army list, but
since
> it's a special ability we might want to include it with all the
other
> special abilities.

The fact that they are not subject to the Chain of Command? Isn't
really a "Common Special Ability". Or you mean another thing?

> Open-Top Vehicle (OTV): This indicates an infantry transport with
an open
> firing area, like a pick-up truck. Any/all units transported may
fire while
> loaded. Any hit on the vehicle will also hit one random transported
troop
> (make separate armor saves), and any barrage template covering the
vehicle
> will also hit all transported units.

Good, will add! ^^

> Tow: May transport a light artillery piece. It takes one turn
to "mount
> up," and units lose their ability to fire in exchange for the
increased
> movement rate in following turns. It takes one turn to dismount and
prepare
> to fire again. Damaged Super-Heavy units may be rotated but not
moved in
> the tactical time scale.

Isn't really a special ability... transport vehicles can all tow
light artillery... or not?

> Transport X: The vehicle may carry X number of infantry stands.
Walkers
> (Sentinels, Dreadnaughts, Tinbots, etc.) count as two infantry
stands.

Yep, will add too. Walkers too? I'm not sure...

> And ones where we differ in opinion:
>
> AA (Anti-Aircraft)
> +++++ See my proposal in the Files > Non-image folder > New units
and rules
> > Yar's Proposals & Stuff.

Flyer rules are yet to be defined... we wait 'til that moment...

> Elite
> Still to decide. :P
> +++++ True. :) I think we've agreed upon a +1 morale (already
included in a
> number of unit's stats) and some sort of combat bonus - an extra
combat die
> perhaps?

Another discussion/poll in course...

> HQ (HeadQuarter)
> +++++ This has been broken into two abilities - Command and HQ:
>
> Command: The unit either moves at Charge and fires on Advance, or
moves at
> Advance and fires on First Fire.
>
> Headquarters (HQ): Unit may not be fired at unless it is the
closest valid
> target of that size category, or farther then 10cm from anything in
it's
> pinning class.

Better wait 'til the poll conclusion for this too, but why divide the
HQ skill in two?

> Teleported
> +++++ Teleporting onto the battlefield as a once-only move is ok by
me -
> that's what the Special Terminator Detachment cards do. Being able
to do it
> every turn is a little over the top, and I don't know of any
regular W40k
> unit that can do so.

Teleporting is one-time only! I think it's poor worded... will remedy.

> Ambush
> +++++ I dunno about this as a separate ability - how about we
combine this
> into the Special Ability: Sniper. I've been irritated about the
slow speed
> of my snipers before and this would make them a good deal more
useful.

Many units aren't snipers but Ambush as well (Lictors, Mandrakes...)
Better leave divided (and not all Snipers ambush!)

> Trap
> +++++ Let's put this into the Engineer unit description and let
engineers
> lay traps. Putting 12cm templates out on the battlefield before the
game
> starts is a little powerful for me.

Before? DURING the game! By the way... you have some reason here...
Trap is a skill of a particular unit (bought as a Special card), not
an effect you may use again and again over time... It will be more
clear when you see my Codex Catachans, Codex TAU and Codex Feral
Orks... I'll put up somewhere when finished.

> Immune to pain
> +++++ Void Shields have it - and they deserve it - but nothing else
should
> have that sort of blanket immunity. If you want a small unit that's
really
> tough you should use a fixed save. But as say, let's playtest!

Obviously! =) But I don't comprehend all the fear about this skill...
The unit will have an appropriate cost, and the bonus don't last in
close combat...