Re: [v5.0] Core Rules addition - Common Special Abilities

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:43:59 -0400

>I've written another chapter that IMHO should be added to the NetEpic
>v5.0 Core Rules... a description of the most common special abilities

This follows my post (Message #13008) quite well - thanks. *grin* You
missed a few, though, and I've a few comments on others.

First, the ones we agree on:

AI, D�mon Hunter, Fear, Fearless, Infiltration, Jump Packs / Wings,
Mechanic, Medic, Sniper, Stealth, Terror

Then there're the ones you missed:

Cavalry (the IG ones)
+++++ This could be included in the Imperial Guard army list, but since
it's a special ability we might want to include it with all the other
special abilities.

Open-Top Vehicle (OTV): This indicates an infantry transport with an open
firing area, like a pick-up truck. Any/all units transported may fire while
loaded. Any hit on the vehicle will also hit one random transported troop
(make separate armor saves), and any barrage template covering the vehicle
will also hit all transported units.

Tow: May transport a light artillery piece. It takes one turn to "mount
up," and units lose their ability to fire in exchange for the increased
movement rate in following turns. It takes one turn to dismount and prepare
to fire again. Damaged Super-Heavy units may be rotated but not moved in
the tactical time scale.

Transport X: The vehicle may carry X number of infantry stands. Walkers
(Sentinels, Dreadnaughts, Tinbots, etc.) count as two infantry stands.

And ones where we differ in opinion:

AA (Anti-Aircraft)
+++++ See my proposal in the Files > Non-image folder > New units and rules
> Yar's Proposals & Stuff.

Elite
Still to decide. :P
+++++ True. :) I think we've agreed upon a +1 morale (already included in a
number of unit's stats) and some sort of combat bonus - an extra combat die
perhaps?

HQ (HeadQuarter)
+++++ This has been broken into two abilities - Command and HQ:

Command: The unit either moves at Charge and fires on Advance, or moves at
Advance and fires on First Fire.

Headquarters (HQ): Unit may not be fired at unless it is the closest valid
target of that size category, or farther then 10cm from anything in it's
pinning class.

Teleported
+++++ Teleporting onto the battlefield as a once-only move is ok by me -
that's what the Special Terminator Detachment cards do. Being able to do it
every turn is a little over the top, and I don't know of any regular W40k
unit that can do so.

Ambush
+++++ I dunno about this as a separate ability - how about we combine this
into the Special Ability: Sniper. I've been irritated about the slow speed
of my snipers before and this would make them a good deal more useful.

Trap
+++++ Let's put this into the Engineer unit description and let engineers
lay traps. Putting 12cm templates out on the battlefield before the game
starts is a little powerful for me.

Immune to pain
+++++ Void Shields have it - and they deserve it - but nothing else should
have that sort of blanket immunity. If you want a small unit that's really
tough you should use a fixed save. But as say, let's playtest!
-Yar