Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Fluff needed

From: Steve Kerry <steve_kerry_uk_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 20:48:14 +0100 (BST)

Here are some relevant entries from the 1st ed 40K
books for Orks. Some things have changed since these
were written (Warbikes don't have autocannons any
more, for instance) and there were no such things as
Skarboyz back then. You can always use the
description from the current 40K books (I can provide
those too if needed). Alternatively there must be
descriptions in the 2nd ed books as well, but I
thought 2nd ed sucked big green weasels so you'll have
to ask someone else for those!

> > > Ork Flash Gitz

There are so many Freebooter bands that some
inevitably get lucky and become successful. A
Freebooter Mob that is especially successful will have
not only survived, but have escaped with heaps of
loot. Part of this good fortune will doubtless be due
to the exceptional low cunning of the Kaptin, who has
probably double-crossed or intimidated quite a few
employers out of their rightful share. No doubt the
Mob also fights well and so gets hired for the most
lucrative jobs and difficult jobs.

These highly successful and experienced Freebooters
are known as Flash Gitz. The entire Mob is armed and
equipped to an incredible degree, not only on account
of all the loot they have earned but also because of
the many gifts presented to them by grateful
Warbosses. The Kaptin is a flamboyant character who
indulges in such fancies as gold plated armour or gilt
scrolling on his power suit, as might a few of his
scurvy crew as well. A few legendary Kaptins of Flash
Gitz, such as the notorious Kaptin Blacksquig, are
rumoured to have left great chests of teeth buried on
wasted worlds and isolated asteroids, having never
survived to collect them. These have since become the
object of many fruitless Freebooter quests and feuds.

> > > Ork Skarboyz

No entry for this, Skarboyz didn't exist when the 1st
ed books were written!

> > > Ork Bikeboyz (dissatisfied with current fluff)

The Ork Warbike is a single-seater attack bike with
twin autocannon - an exceptionally heavy armament for
such a small vehicle. Of course, fixing such a lethal
combination of weaponry onto a small and relatively
light bike poses a few problems � not the least of
which is its tendency to spin wildly out of control
every time the guns are fired. Fortunately, Orks
don�t regard petty problems of this kind as any kind
of deterrent, rather that they add to the character of
the bike and make it more exciting to ride. For this
reason the Warbike is especially popular with Orks
whose natural inclination to ride fast, dangerous
machines has become a whole way of life � namely the
members of the Kult of Speed or Speed Freeks. Riding
fast and dangerous machines has a naturally exciting
effect upon the Ork metabolism: their eyes bulge, and
their faces become transfixed with a smile of
extraordinary ecstasy. Some Orks become completely
addicted to this experience. All they want to do is
ride faster and more dangerous machines, and, of
course, take their bikes speeding into the heart of
the fiercest fighting, guns blazing, engines roaring,
and foes scattering before them like frightened
squiggly beasts.

Bad Ork Bikeboyz: Ork Bikeboyz who opt for a roving
nomadic lifestyle are knows as Bad Ork Bikerz, and are
very bad characters indeed. The tribe breathes a deep
sigh of relief as they roar off up the road to cause
trouble somewhere else. Their favourite sport is
running over ranks of drilling Stormboyz, but they are
quite happy to practice on Gretchin, Snotlings,
Madboyz and anyone else who wanders in front of them.
Bad Ork Bikerz are willing to fight for anyone for
free, just for the fun of it, and nothing is more
important to them than their beloved bikes which they
polish and pamper constantly. When not actually
riding their bikes they enjoy maintaining them.
Maintenance costs of taking the bikes apart and
putting them back together again, hopefully leaving
out (or �saving�) as many bits as they can in the
process.

> > > Ork Nobz Warbikes (currently merged with
> bikeboyz)

The Nobz Bike is the ultimate personal transport for a
Nob who wants fast, individual mobility, with no
waiting around for the rest of the Boyz. Nobz don�t
drive the Bikes themselves, that would distract them
from the real fun which (as everybody knows) is
shooting the biggest, loudest, and most devastating
weapon that he can carry. Instead, the Bike is driven
by a trusted servant from the Nobz Household, someone
he can trust to put his foot down and get to where the
action is really fast! The Boyz who drive the Nobz
Bikes consider themselves a cut above the average Boy.
 They perhaps nurture dreams of being Nobz themselves
one day � if they live long enough!