[NetEpic ML] Re: Helping Titans Survive the Modern World.....

From: Thomas Lawson <kurmark_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:46:56 -0600

> Perhaps to counter the problem of Infantry knocking shields out we can
take
> an idea from the old Adeptus Titanicus Overload rule. At the start of the
> phase (either First Fire or Advance Fire) the Titan's controller can
> declare they are overloading the Void Shields (NOT Power Fields). The
> shields will hold under whatever fire they take, but the chances of an
> overload in the generators are very high. No matter how many times the
> shields are hit, they will not fall. However, keep track of the number of
> hits they take and at the end of the phase, roll a D6 and add the number
of
> hits the shields took in that phase and consult the "Shield Overload"
> table. The Overload table would be something along the lines of the
> Reactor Damage table (but extending beyond 6 to account for the modifiers)
> with the most extreme results seeing the Titan explode.
>
> For example:
>
> 1- The Generators complain under the increased load but hold. No effect.
> 2-3 The generators threaten to cause a feedback into the power system
> forcing the Princeps to shut some of them down. The Titan lose half its
> remaining shields (they may be repaired)
> 4-5 Safety cut-outs shut the genrators down before they feedback into the
> reactor system, Tita loses all its remaining shields (they may be
repaired)
> 6-8 The generators cause an overload feedback into the power system, as a
> result saftey cut outs shut the Reactor down. The Titan is without power
> until it can be repaired.
> 9-10 The energy feedback into the power systems causes significant damage
> to the Neural Interface. Roll on the Titan Head Damage table.
> 11- The feedback overloads the reactor. Roll on the Titan reacotr Damage
> Table.
> 12+ The feedback causes the Plasma Reactor to explode. Treat as "6"
> result on the Titan Reactor Damage Table.
>
> This way, a player can ensure an Imperial Titan's survival for at least
one
> phase (as long as no one uses a weapon that ignores shields), but the
> chances of it becoming useless or even exploding are significant.

Ok, I really like this idea. It adds just enough of an ability to balance
things out without making it too powerful. It also requires that no stats be
changed.

There are only three other options I see to this situation that are simple.
(1) Say that Vortex Missiles and Ball Rounds "ignore" shields rather than
knock them all down. (2) Let Titans make their armor save on 2d6. (3) Allow
only weapons with a -2 save modifier to knock down Titan shields.