Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Re: [v5.0] Elite suggestion, Part II

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:29:13 +0200

Hi,

I agree the word stormtroopers (or "Sturmtruppen" to be exact) may be of little political correctness, but have you read all the fluff? I think that giving this name to an ork unit is something of little importance compared with other "details".

Actually, in rogue trader Space Marines were commonly used to supress insurrections in worlds, which meant killing all insurrectors (plus a lot of suspicious of insurrection) so the rest of the population knew what was about the imperial rules. Even more, Inquisitors were also allowed to call for "cleanse duties" where Entire imperial planets where bombarded from orbit until no life was left so they could be recolonized with new and "pure" imperial colonists. Not to say psychers prosecution and suppresion (food for the emperor) for being tainted and dangerous for the rest of the humanity ( Doesn't ring you a bell?). I can add a lot of examples (worse ones too) on this matter from Rogue Trader, and still from newer editions of WH40k (which BTW have been soften on this -and other- aspect).

The empire is a fascist organization from all points of view. Completely Nazi if you want. I don't see any reason why ork names should be politically correct.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think we are all able to make a differentiation beetwen gameplay and real life. The fact that I play with imperial armies, and enjoy it, doesn't mean at all that I like fascism by any means. It's just the other way round, I hate it. I understand this is just a game. I want to believe that the most (not to say all) the people who play NetEpic are mature enough to understand this is just a game and nothing more. Kids usually only play GW games...

If we were for political correctness, most of the fluff should be erased. And truly, I don't want to play "the epic-sized game of flower-power conflicts of the 41st millenium". I don't have anything against flowwer-power, I just think 41st millenium is a cude, cruel world, much worse than ours and fluff and names should reflect that.

But, anyway, a "Disclaimer" could be added at the beggining of the rules if people think it's necessary.

Albert