Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Re: [v5.0] Elite suggestion, Part II

From: Weasel Fierce <weasel_fierce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 21:59:39 +0000

>I agree the word stormtroopers (or "Sturmtruppen" to be exact) may be of
>little political correctness, but have you read all the fluff? I think that
>giving this name to an ork unit is something of little importance compared
>with other "details".

As for the actual term stormtroopers / sturmtruppen, these were First world
war infiltration and assault units.
What people are thinking of may be the pre ww2 SA (sturm abteilung), which
were Hitlers bully boys and private army prior to the the war.

While the storm troopers may have nazi similarities (the 2nd edition models
were extremely SS looking) the name storm trooper has no relation to nazis,
the wehrmacht or the SS.

The german sturmtruppen (also called stosstruppen) were infiltrating forces
specially trained to break the deadlock of trenchwarfare in 1918 (and in a
few battles at 1917).

Emplying speed and close cooperation with the artillery, they were used to
surge forward and penetrate the enemy lines, leaving strongpoints behind for
the regular army to deal with.

Imperial Germany (1871 to 1918) was no more or less evil than the other
countries of that time. In fact, the French demands at the Versaille treaty
which ended ww1 were definately not very humane or civilized.
Otherwise, look at some of the british or belgian exploits in their
colonies.

Therefore, I do not think that the use of the term storm trooper ought to
cause any problem for anyone as the name does not refer to nazi troops or
ideals in any way.

Ultimately its not really a big or important deal :)
Special forces work too, but the unit is already there, and with my interest
in WW1, I have a soft spot for the Storm trooper name *smiles*

Weasel