New Space Marine Engineer Company. (NetEpic V5.0)

From: orpheus589 <aapsych20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 00:24:01 -0000

  Hello, group :

  A couple of days ago I saw a post on this list about Engineer units
of some sort, and it got me thinking (despise when that happens:-).
Although I'm a relative neophite to NetEpic/Epic 40k, I have noticed
a relative oversight in the rules and force lists . There are
virtually no arrangements made for one of the most important branches
of front line forces, the Combat Engineers (I noticed that no Marine
Engineers were provided for under V4.1 army lists). As I recall, a
couple of the original WH40K SM Chapters (I forget which ones, since
I don't play WH40K thus resolutely not indulging GW by playing
anything other than epic :-) pride themselves in their fortification
skills, for which Engineers are essential.
  I would propose that a new SM company may be added to the codex
army lists in V5.0 (probably in advanced rules), especially for the
Chapters mentioned above which would make those Chapters just a bit
more distinct (I'm sure you, veterans, know which ones, although
possibly all SM Chapters could have this). The Combat Engineer
company would be an alternative to a Tactical or Battle company for a
Chapter and would be transported in Rhinos/Razorbacks or old Land
Raiders (NOT Crusaders). This company would consist of two SM
Engineer detachments (6 units each, cost 350 pts if in Rhinos) a
Flamer SM detachment (6 units), commanded by a Captain and a
Chaplain, with attached Techmarine unit and a Vindicator (or Thudd
Gun or Mole Mortar) detachment optional.
  For the Salamanders, it would consist of two Flamer, one Combat
Engineer, and one mandatory Vindicator (or Thudd Gun or Mole Mortar)
detachment with same command structure and would be called Heavy
Assault Engineer Company (of which there could be no more than two)
and thus could serve as the alternate version of the Flamer Company.
For the rest of the Chapters, either one Engineer or the Flamer
detachment could be replaced with one Veteran, or one Devastator
detachment. One of the company detachments could be attached as
support for another company (eliminating the need for separate
Chapter's Flamer and Engineer detachments by having them in a special
company).

Here are preliminary stats for a SM Combat Engineer unit:
Move >> 10cm
Save >> 6+
CAF >> +3 (and increase Flamer CAF in Engineer company to +3 too)
Weapons >> Bolters..Range >> 50cm
>> Thermobarric explosives.. Range >>35cm
To Hit >> 5+ (or 4+)
TSM >> 0

***Notes
    a) Ignore cover for thermobarric explosives (special weapon only
for SM Engineers). These explosives are not the same as demolition
charges, but are fuel-air explosives with antiarmour and
antipersonnel capability. I don't really know how to model these
gamewise, perhaps someone can help out here (I would imagine a 10cm
blast template)
    b) Minefields (laying or clearing) same as for V4.1 IG Engineers,
but increase minefield size to 8x12cm per 2 unit squad.
    c) Demolition charges same as per V4.1 IG Engineers but increase
detonation barage template size to 5cm (more powerful charges).
    d) Traps/Obstacles someone had this in their original poist about
Engineers (the one that got me thinking about this, whoever you are,
Thank You :-). I think that post had some ideas about that but I
can't find it. Please feel free to chime in.

Well, that's about it, hope this comes to be of use (e.g. makes it to
the army lists :-) Questions? Comments? Criticisms?

Best regards,
Eric.

P.S. While I'm on the topic of of minefields, what about minelaying
ability for the Imperial/Squat/Chaos Darkforge artillery (Manticore
MLRS, Whirlwind, Basilisk, Squat Thunderfire, etc)?