RE: [NetEpic ML] RE: Unit Point Costs

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:28:19 -0400

Last week I said:

>>I submit my existing file, "Proposed Core Army Cards & Costs",
>>currently in the Files section. Please take a look at it and
>>let me know what you think.

This week I receive:

>Hard and fast formulas do not work

and

>NO mathematical formula can possibly manage to calculate ALL aspects of an
army in a fair manner.

Apparently no one's bothered to go *look* at my proposal. If you had you'd
have found that I didn't use a formula to come up with unit costs. On the
off-chance you're interested, here's what I did:

I used a comparative usefulness scale - the Eldar Guardian is the baseline
and costs 150 points for a detachment of 6. All other units are compared to
that one. I didn't do big things (Super-Heavies, Titans, etc) as the units
aren't comparable - I stuck with the existing prices for them.

Each characteristic (size, move, CAF, armor, weapons, morale, special) is
compared to the baseline. Ratings are "Poor", "Average", "Good" and
"Special". Better abilities cost more, lesser abilities cost, well... less.

Examples:
Eldar Guardian Detachment: Size:Average, Move:Average, Armor:None,
CAF:Average, Weapons:Average, Morale:Average = 150 points.

IG Tactical Detachment: Size:Big(+50), Move:Average, Armor:None,
CAF:Average, Weapons:Average, Morale:Average = 200 points.

SM Tactical Detachment: Size:Average, Move:Average, Armor:Good(+25),
CAF:Good(+25), Weapons:Average, Morale:Good(+25), Special: (Rhinos +25) =
250 points.

SM Terminator Detachment: Size:Small(-50), Move:Average, Armor:Heavy(+50),
CAF:Lots(+50), Weapons:Average, Morale:Good(+25), Special: (Elite +25),
(fires twice +25), (L.Raiders +75)= 350 points.

See how it works? I don't get into specific weapons, save mods or CAF
numbers - I use comparative usefulness based on what I've read, heard and
seen in playtesting. The vast majority of my costs equal the existing ones,
and the changes I suggest are (IMHO) minor. Please, before you slag my
ideas, at least look at them.
-Yar