[v5.0] Space Marine Construction

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:09:09 -0400

I've been talking with some Rogue Trader-era gamers, and I've a number of
ideas. Here's the first.

Space Marine forces are custom-made to do whatever they're sent to do -
they pick the right tool for the job. Consequently, you should be able to
buy a 'basic' marine company and equip it however you need. Now, this can
get into a "+12 points for detachment jump packs" which is too complicated
for me.

Second, teleporters are, or at least were in RT days, not an extremely
uncommon way of getting to a planet from orbit. You could teleport entire
companies of marines, not just terminators. I'd like to simulate that
without having to differentiate between "Tactical Company" and "Teleporting
Tactical Company".

So, the Company Cards drop in price a little and don't come with any
transports (Rhinos or Land Raiders).

Now add a series of Support Cards that represent "mode of transport". These
would be None, Rhinos and Land Raiders. It takes up one support card slot,
but in that slot you buy enough transport for the entire Company.

And a Special Card that represents the company teleporting in. It costs 100
(or so) points per detachment and takes up the Special slot.

This is in addition to the Drop Pod card, which is another "mode of
transport" card.

Opinions?
-Yar