Re: [NetEpic ML] fascism in 40k

From: Sam Dale <epic_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 15:52:15 +0100

> as an antifascist in reality (and unfortunately german -i am NOT proud of
it, not at all , i feel cosmopolit!)

Be happy to be german, not proud. I'm happy to be english. There's lots of
things i'm very very unhappy about, but my nationality is english. Which i'm
happy with.

> i think a disclaimer is a good idea - why not ?

Because it admits there's something to be ashamed about in the first place.
There isn't. Any antipathy toward wargaming is purely a media kneejerk
reaction.

> sometimes i feel horrified when i see 12 year old children in gw-stores
with the steel-legion in therr hands...

The Steel Legion are very good looking models. Without the political
implications, as they are, they could represent any mechanised force. My
parents gave me grief many years back about war being nothing to glorify. I
agree with them. But still there's warfare that interests me, but only in a
mental way. The actual idea of me or anyone else being involved in actual
lethal combat horrifies me.

I did have a mate at uni who painted a necromunda gang as SS stormtroopers.
They were banned from the local GW in short order. He did it purely to test
reactions.

>especially in germany after this big, horrible shoolmassacre where 13
teachers were killed in
> east-germany by a pupil/student the whole public is dissing wargames in
generell and does not want to
> understand that playing games like this must not lead to brutal minds...

So they've moved on from Marilyn Manson and roleplaying games as the
scapegoat? The mainstream media looks for the nearest soft target. So
instead of asking the parents exactly how they cared for their child, or
asking the school and the friends about bullying and the like, they
look for the nearest rolepalying, heavy metal or wargaming link.

Sam.