RE: [NetEpic ML] Heresy II: some more input

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:54:01 +0300

[snip]

I confess I haven't had time to read the stuff yet, but I've been pondering army structure for quite a some time. My comments below.

> My general thoughts on army organization are:
>
> Space marine/ Eldar- I would like relatively small groups, enough so
> that with the SM/Eldar superior morale a typical leader could activate
> most battelgroups in one turn. Thus taken piecemeal they would be in
> trouble, but they are good enough to coordinate attacks eefectively.

Space Marines: their organization is flexible to the extreme. Above company level the chain of command in a chapter goes straight to the Chapter master. The organization should reflect this: a SM task force/battlegroup/combat command/whatchamacallit can be of any size and is usually commanded by a senior captain. Very large task forces involving more than five companies are usually commanded by Lieutenant Commander or even the Chapter Master himself.

However, normal command hierarchy exists from company level downwards and this should be reflected in the lists somehow.

Eldar: these aliens have caused me sleepless nights, as I would like to see something totally different for their command structure. So far nothing I have came up with has been satisfactory to the least. Eldar company equivalents should be _really_ small, smaller even than their SM equivalents. The command structure should be flexible enough and telepathic communications guarantee fast responses.

> IG/Orks/PDF- these would be the opposite of Eldar/SM. They
> would control
> few, but large battlegroups. On average they would activate one or two
> battlegroups so they coordinate very well. However they can
> resist more
> damage.

IG: Large units and rigid command hierarchy: Platoon -> Company -> Battalion -> Regiment. I wouldn't allow IG the degree of mix 'n match available to the Marines in constructing their army; IG companies should generally consist of units of the same type. Cross attaching of one platoon should be possible but that's about it.

Orks: Chaotic command structure. I'm not really sure how this would be represented but the units should be huge mobs.

> Chaos- would be a meld of the above two, depending on what part of the
> army we are talking about.
>
> Tyranid- would be more like orks, although their high morale
> would make
> it a deadly swarm.

A cross between Orks and Eldar; large swarms with telepathic communications. Ouch!

> Squats- in between SM and IG.

Leaning more to the IG side; Squat society is extremely rigid and inflexible.

> Slann- Necron would be like tyranids due to morale and the
> exodites are
> more like Squats. True slann would be slightly better then SM.

No idea about these. I have not yet formed a mental vision about these armies.

> For those who tried it out, any comments welcome.
>
> Peter

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is money.