Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] SM Army building

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:58:02 +0200

Hi,

As I understand it, SM chapters are used, and often do, fight alongside other chapters. Taking into account also that some chapters are almost equal, i.e. follow the codex astartes, probably they wouldn't have any problem to fight together. If we apply this rule, you should only choose a Chaos power, an ork clan, an Eldar Craftworld, and so... and any other troops even from the same race, should be treated as allies.

In the other hand, the armies of the imperium (from 2nd edt) state quite clearly that "The lists [of companies] represent Chapters at their 'stand-by' strength. In time of war more troops are routinely added and this will obviously change the list and lift many of the restrictions.". This leads to the next conclusion: You have unlimited acces to company cards for the same chapter which solves the problem of 10k+ battles.

As this is really cheesy, I accept that the list of "stand-by" chapter should be used. But this doesn't forbid a simultaneous attack from different chapters. It's very unusual that a SM chapter sends more than three companies to a battle. The chance of suffering a so heavy loss for a Chapter would forbid the use of large numbers burt in the most important battles. The imperium usually send two or three companies from each of the closest SM chapters to the battle planet, thus resulting in the cooperation of forces with the same "art of war", fighting with different coloured armour.

What I'm trying to explain is that, IF two (or more) chapters which follow the same standard (the codex ISO-Astartes) cannot act as a whole army HOW could cooperate in a same army a blood axe mob with Bad Moons? How can pink horrors fight along side Juggies without fighting between themselves? And SM are treated as allies? come on...

For me it's absolutely nonsense splitting the SM army in one army for each chapter.

Albert

Just a final note: In SM 2nd edition IG, TL and SM could even be mixed without restriction and this was specifically stated in the same book, so I don't really find cheesy mixing SM chapters.