Fwd: [epic] Games Day Experience w/ EpicA

From: Christian Danckworth <ce.de_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:18:29 +0200

This is a forwarded message
From: corregidor2001 <104105.401_at_...>
To: epic_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 30, 2002, 4:50:48 PM
Subject: [epic] Games Day Experience w/ EpicA

Hello all:

I attended this year's Games Day in Baltimore and played a round of
the new Epic:Armageddon rules. Although I didn't play it long enough
to develop a full opinion about it, I think I can provide some
overview comments:

To be sure, it plays differently than Epic 40K. Gone are the days of
the Firepower chart which is also used in BFG. Now combat is between
weapon systems, wherein you can have (say) land speeders with two
types of cannon, and how they fire and their effectiveness is based
upon range and inherent values. I liked the simplicity of the
firepower chart, but I can live without it. What's required, however,
is a more careful study of units and their inherent weapons, which
(at least in the game I played) slowed down the pace a bit. That can
be overcome, however, with more play, once you start learning what
all the weapons are capable of doing.

I was playing space marines, and I managed to win in spite of facing
a much larger Ork force. My opponent had one good turn where he sent
my predator unit back in rout, but then my land speeders and HQ unit
(coupled with a devastator squad), basically broke the back of the
Orks and ended the game. It was fun, but I'm a bit troubled by some
of the power of some of the marine units.

Landspeeders, though quite weak if they get in close, are so
versatile with their ability to fly right over buildings and take pop-
up shots. They may be too good, but then again, I'd need to play them
some more. But their effectiveness, almost without enemy recourse,
gave me cause to pause.

And I initially thought Whirlwinds, with their bombardment ability at
such long range, was a bit too powerful. But on further
consideration, I think they are fine. There was some argument at the
table that they should be more powerful, but I disagree. They can
basically stay out of harms way for the entire battle and still make
a difference. Any stronger, and they would be a deal breaker.

I am saddened, however, by the introduction of saving throws. It
slows the game down, in my view. Why can't we, at this scale, come up
with some form of one-roll-to-resolve-the-entire-battle concept, like
in epic? Saving throws certainly make the marines better, which is a
good thing, given their smallness, but I didn't care for saving
throws all too much. I can live with it, but would prefer to do
without.

Otherwise, I had a great time, and want to thank the demonstrators. I
want to play it some more before settling on it in full, but I think
it has potential. Some rough edges, but nothing to really turn me
off. <G>

Epic E-groups Home Page:
http://www.egroups.com/group/epic

epic-unsubscribe_at_egroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

--
Best regards,
 Christian                            mailto:ce.de_at_...