Re: [v5.0] Exodites

From: antichrist666it <seimejote_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 15:55:26 -0000

--- In netepic_at_y..., Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_m...> wrote:
> I'd like some feedback before we get to the Eldar - I'm collecting
fluff
> from the Internet and ran across an interesting idea.
>
> One source lists the Eldar Exodites as the folks who use Eldar
Knights.
> What's the word from Net Epic? Who's the project leader for the
Exodites,
> and would you mind if I sketch out some army lists that are a
combination
> of low-tech infantry and high-tech Knights? What're the feelings on
> restricting Eldar Knights to Exodites?
>
> Or should I just let the whole thing wait 'till we hit Eldar?
> -Yar

I've made a few units... here is the fluff:

Eldar Exodites

Ennobled yet fierce, independent and savage, the Exodites have one of
the most exciting backgrounds of all Eldar. During the Fall the
degeneration of the Eldar was not complete, for many Eldar resisted
the temptations of hedonism. Some, the more far-sighted, began to
openly criticise the decadence of their fellow citizens, and to warn
against the insidiousness of the pleasure cults. These people were
mostly ignored or else treated as narrow-minded self-righteous fools
and fanatics. Soon the general collapse of society convinced even the
most resolute amongst them that there would be no end to the reign of
death and depravity. Some decided to leave the Eldar worlds, and
settle new planets free of the creeping corruption: these Eldar are
known as the Exodites. Of the entire Eldar race they were uniquely
far-sighted: amongst a race naturally indulgent and hedonistic they
were reviled as dour self-righteous fanatics obsessed with misery and
self-denial. There were some whose dire premonitions were perhaps yet
another form of insanity, simply one more conceit taken to inhuman
extremes, others were genuine survivalists who chose exile over
degradation and destruction. In an assortment of spacecraft the
Exodites abandoned their homes. Many died in open space, some reached
new worlds only to be slain by marauding Orks or natural predators,
many more survived. For the most part they headed eastwards as far
away from the main concentration of Eldar worlds as they could reach.
Upon the fringes of the galaxy the Exodites made new homes: the
worlds they settled were savage and life was often hard for a people
unused to physical work and self-denial. When the final cataclysm
erupted, most of the Exodite worlds were far from the psychic
epicentre and survived. The resultant psychic implosion wiped out the
rest of the Eldar race and left a gaping hole in the fabric of space,
but out on the fringes of the galaxy the Exodites were safe. Many
Craftworlds rode out the psychic shock wave and survived that way,
but the Exodites had already reached places of safety, or else they
perished with the rest of their race and have been forgotten. Since
they were first settled the Exodite worlds have not changed a great
deal. The Eldar that live there have learned how to cultivate crops
and harvest other natural resources. The psycho-plastics necessary
for Eldar technology are rare and precious on these remote planets so
the Exodites utilise other substances and rely upon simpler ways and
physical labour. The Exodites have developed the craftsmen and
artisans needed to work with natural materials to create the items
that are needed in their daily lives. The Craftworld Eldar regard the
Exodites as rustic and rather simple folk, vigorous and wild in a way
that is quite unlike their own introverted societies. Craftworlders
and Exodites travel within each other's realms, but their different
mental outlook and way of' life means that they have their own
concerns. The wild creatures that inhabit the Exodite worlds are many
and varied. Most of the Exodite worlds are now home to large herds of
Megadons and other gigantic beasts which the Exodites know by the
name of Dragons. It is likely that these creatures are native to the
region, but that the early settlers spread them throughout all their
worlds so that they are now common. The Exodites follow the Dragon
herds as they graze the endless grasslands of the great plains. By
carefully managing the herds the Eldar live upon them, eating their
flesh and even drinking their blood, and utilising their skins to
make clothing and leather. Even bones and horn have their uses, and
these materials partly substitute for the psychoplastic substances
used by the Craftworld Eldar. Although this lifestyle is in many
respects a primitive one, the Exodites have many advanced
technologies and are familiar with all the sophisticated materials
used on the Craftworlds. It is by choice that they live as they do,
and their way of life has proven every bit as successful as that of
the other Eldar.

+++Units I've done so far...+++

Cavalry

Dragon Knights
?lacks fluff?
* Laser Lance - The Laser Lances can be discharged upon physical
contact, making it ideal for a close pass. Models charged by Dragon
Knights are destroyed and removed from play on a d6 roll of 5+ (this
takes place before close combat is resolved). This attack is
ineffective against targets with an Armor save.
Models: ?

Walkers

Scout Walker
Among the Eldar the Jetbike is generally used for scouting and fast
attack. However amongst the Exodites this is not entirely true: on
the wind-swept grasslands and dense forests of these worlds, Eldar
Scout Walkers come into their own. Able to withstand the sudden
whirlwinds that swirl across the grassy steppes and negotiate the
tangled undergrowth of the forest, Scout Walkers can operate in
environments that would prove dangerous for Jetbikes. The Eldar Scout
Walker is adept at both scouting and ambush, the walker's firepower
coupled with its agility has made it successful on many worlds. It is
more lightly armed than the War Walker (having the capability to
mount only one heavy weapon) and lacks its protective energy field,
but this is more than made up for by the addition of a Holo-field
similar to that on Eldar Flyers. This combined with the Scout
Walker's speed, make it ideal for hit-and-run attacks.
Models: War Walker models from the GW Eldar sprue.

Pr�torians

Megadon
There are many different kinds of dragons, some unique to specific
worlds, and they are used in different ways according to their size
and nature. The Megadons are massive herbivores, slow-witted and easy
to manage, although deadly if panicked or mistreated. These creatures
provide most of the material resources of the Exodites, and small
ones are used to transport cargoes and people across the great
plains. A large Megadon can carry a massive structure on its back,
and they bear the most enormous weights without concern. Smaller
carnivorous dragons ridden by Exodite warriors are used to herd and
control the Megadons. Warriors are virtually born into the tail
dragon saddles, and wield their long lances with consummate ease: a
stab with a lance will turn or stop a Megadon without causing it any
harm, but the same blow would knock the most hardy Eldar to the
ground dead.
Models: ?