Heresy II- take two

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:18:15 -0400

Hi!

Now that I am free again I will fix up Heresy nice and good. The
following will be done:

1. To reduce the die roll I have changed the penetration mechanic to one
of less die rolls. This will MARKEDLY reduce the number of die rolling
since now penetration is only ONE die roll with modifiers. You roll one
d10 plus modifiers and compare to the armor value and if it is equal to
or higher the target receives one point of damage. This is virtually
identical to the former system except that less dice are rolled. It also
converts very easily since weapons with extra penetration dice just get
a higher bonus to the roll. Armor piercing weapons get an even higher
bonus. For example a volcano cannon that used to have 3 penetration dice
and an armor piercing bonus of 3 now is one d10 + 5 (three from the
armor piercing bonus and two for the extra dice beyond the first). So
with some editing I can make the switch and preserve the game mechanic.

2. Army lists. This was a MAJOR pain, but I believe using AT style army
construction helps solve the problem. This system is a hybrid between SM
and epic 40k. It looks like SM because you purchase "detachment" sized
units which are preset. But it looks like epic 40k because the actual
composition of the battlegroup varies in accordance with what
detachments you put in it. For example IG has three levels: company,
battalion and regimental levels. At the company level you can place from
2-4 detachments. The reason for this variability is two-fold. On one
hand it permits the player to simulate a battlegroup at less than full
strength as well as some lee-way to make companies that fit with players
available models. An IG player will realize quickly however that
fielding to many under strength units is not a good thing especially
when those are his battlegroups tasks with assaulting. Another pleasant
effect of the system is that gives you a clearer reason and method on
how higher level command is acquired. In the IG example before you can
field a third company you must have one battalion commander, thus a
ratio of one battalion commander per two companies is laid out. You also
cannot get a regimental commander until you have three battalion
commanders (meaning one regimental commander is in charge of three
battalions and 6 companies). So you can play small games with few units
and no that many companies or battalions or real large games with full
regiments fielded. Each army has its own unique organization, although
some armies like slann and eldar I have to make them up. But now that I
have the idea it's easier to do. Also I will change the preset
detachment model contents to their Net Epic equivalents in regards to
number of models to make swapping formations from game to game easier.

3. I will adopt the newer artillery rules and flier rules from the last
draft since are much better than the original ones.

Hopefully in a couple of days it will all be done.

Peter