[v5.0] attacks into Close Combat

From: <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:43:34 -0400

Here's an optional rule for thought.

Units may fire at enemies that are in Close Combat. However, if you choose to
do so you must roll a *second* To-Hit die and attempt to hit both combatants.
Use different colored dice and roll 'em.

Note: Yes, in multi-player games, shooting into Close Combat becomes quite
attractive - you effectively double your shots. Given the definition of
"close" combat and the lethality of 40k weapons, I'm inclined to agree. A
human body can't stop a .45 bullet much less a HEAP bolter or lascannon shot.

I'm inclined to believe that certain armies wouldn't do this sort of thing on
general principals (Eldar, Imperial Guard, Squats) but others would (Orks,
Tyranids, Dark Eldar). I'd like a down side to shooting into your own troops
and I think this may work. Opinions?
-Yar