RE: [NetEpic ML] psy power vs unit in close combat

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:28:42 +0300

[snip]
> I charged a group of advanceing Slann hvy. mechs with a squad
> of jetbikes.
> Attacking 2 of the mechs with 2 stands and the third with
> one stand. The
> Slann mechs was acompanied by a Slann mage in a hvy mech. My
> opponent used
> this command mech to fire into the melee, since jetbikes
> can't pin mechs. He
> even used the flamer template carefully placeing it so that
> it didn't touch
> his own model, but covered the jetbike stand in cc wit his
> mech. In this
> manner he was able to save 1 or 2 (I can't remember) of his mechs from
> beeing destroyd in the CC.
>
> Is it a legal move?

No, see below.

> This is actually a double question first off is it ok to fire
> into this CC
> using "normal" weapons,

Net Epic P.23, Firing into CC: "Models NOT involved in the actual combat may fire into a close combat IF THE TARGET MODEL IS NOT PINNED" (emphasis mine).

The _jetbikes_ chose to remain in CC and so _they_ are pinned until their next movement phase (Net Epic p.22, Skimmers in CC). You _can't_ fire at pinned units unless you're cold-blooded. Period. The only way he could've legally hit some of those bikes is if he had used snap fire with the command mech when the bikes had not yet reached base to base contact.

> secondly is there any difference with
> regards to the
> use of template weapons!!!

No, and neither does the ability of the weapon to harm your own troops make any difference. As much as I'd love to clear swarming infantry around one of my superheavy tanks in CC with my own tactical infantry, I can't do it.

> Thirdly how about neuro disruptor missiles, they do not harm
> Slann troops in
> any way, should Slann therefore be able to fire the on themselves. For
> instance in an attemt to hamper the CC ability of opposing players???

See above.

> Nils
>
> PS: I still managed to win the battle.

Congratulations!