Re: [NetEpic ML] Tunnelers

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:55:24 +0200

Hi,

Actually, I gave tunnelers the Deep Strike ability, as a movement of 15 with
no doubling for Charge Orders is insanely useless in most games I've ever
played. That means they may initially attempt to surface anywhere on the
board, and I need to put in the difference in scattering "if the launching
unit can see the surfacing point" or not.

---> I would add that forward observers should be able to spot for surfacing point better than a launcher. Actually, I can really understand the utility of bringing weaponless transports to the battlefield. I'd judge more sensible directing tunnelers through forward observers and/or Leviathans. Once surfaced, what do you do with the launcher? Hide it the better you can?

I'd leave launchers optional: either you bring your launcher to give a better chance to strike with precision or you start underground and rely on luck and forward observers. In any case, launchers shouldn't count for the unit break point

I haven't - mainly because I hadn't thought about it. Personally, I believe
anything that can move at a combat speed through solid rock will blow through
a building as if it were tissue paper. In game terms, I really wouldn't mind
giving Imperial Guard (the folks with the majority of the tunnelers) the
ability to both deploy infantry far into the board and take out enemy hard
points. The cost should increase but I think tunnelers should be more
effective than they are now - and that means they can take out buildings.

---> I think Squats would also have something to say about tunnelers. Probably a siege battle with Squats on the attacking side would mean lots of artillery, but also extensive use of tunnelers. IMHO tunnelers have a good play in Epic, though they are scarcely used. Their implicit ability to deep strike is valueless for Squats but specially for IG. The playtesters team could try them to get practical conclusions.

Albert

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor