RE: [NetEpic ML] Tunnelers

From: <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:35:06 -0400

> I believe Jar mentioned something about
> updating the tunnelers in the
> drafts already out. The main difference from
> the original rules and ours
> is that troops can disembark on the turn they
> surface in net epic.

Actually, I gave tunnelers the Deep Strike ability, as a movement of 15 with
no doubling for Charge Orders is insanely useless in most games I've ever
played. That means they may initially attempt to surface anywhere on the
board, and I need to put in the difference in scattering "if the launching
unit can see the surfacing point" or not.

> The part of what happens if it comes under a
> building was omitted, but
> should really be part of the rules. It will go
> in if Jar hasn't already
> done it.

I haven't - mainly because I hadn't thought about it. Personally, I believe
anything that can move at a combat speed through solid rock will blow through
a building as if it were tissue paper. In game terms, I really wouldn't mind
giving Imperial Guard (the folks with the majority of the tunnelers) the
ability to both deploy infantry far into the board and take out enemy hard
points. The cost should increase but I think tunnelers should be more
effective than they are now - and that means they can take out buildings.

> BTW... is tunneler or tunneller?
Tunneler, I believe. The dictionary lists both tunneled and tunneling so I'll
extrapolate to a single "l" for all variations.
-Yar