[NetEpic ML] Re: Flyer rules random thoughts

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:17:37 -0800

Hi again, Peter!

I guess I can understand the morale checks to come in on any edge, but
since some armies have a much better morale than others, would this be
ballanced?

Why is interception not automatic, isn't this part of the flyers normal
job, as a pilot? Is this done for game ballance? Why?

Why can AA guns fire at more than one squadron? What would enable them
to do this? Is this just for game ballance? Why?

Thanks, your doing a Great service for all of us,

Warprat

Peter Ramos wrote:

Hi!

Hi Peter!

I haven't really played too much with flyers, except Thunderhawks,
because I just don't have the models. I have plenty of Thunderhawks,
but most of them don't make it into the battle, because I have a House
Rule that limits them to one per company. I made that House Rule
because I am unable to field fighter escorts, and my AA guns are of a
very limited number. I use the flyer rules for the Thunderhawks, but
the rules don't work very well. I miss the days when Thunderhaks were
more like helicopters. I know, the model looks like a VTOL kind of jet.
Even though, EVERTHING, used to be able to fire at you, I still miss the
days of being able to use terrain to hide my Thunderhawks behind, as
they snaked around the board.

I know the feeling and thats why I want something simpler, where if you
dont use flyers much the rules dont obligate you to have many flyers or
none at all. With only AA you can have an active air defense and not
worry about buying flyers.

Why would they need to make a morale check? Why not ANY edge?
game balance mostly, since flyers do have a range for flying in these
rules, accessing any edge is just like unlimited movement.

What purpose does the morale roll serve?
If you wish to intercept an incoming transport or strafer you must pass
a morale check if not you basically remain at your baseline.
Interception is not automatic.

AA guns can fire more than once? Can infantry, or armored units with
bolters snap fire at passing flyers? AA on first fire orders can fire
once at each individual squadron that flies in. I haven't decided if
infantry can fire at them, perhpas yes with a -2 penalty, and vehicles
may not since its over their arc of fire.