Thoughts on Chaos/Chaos army list

From: <nils.saugen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:29:44 +0100

Hi,

The winter has finally come to the North, it's the greatest of times!

I feel it is neccesary for us to start out with a discussion on how chaos
should be viewed! What do we wish chaos to be? What is Chaos USP?

I've always regarded Chaos as a slow moving close combat Army, however latly
it has embrace almost every aspect of the game. It can either be a rapid
deployment force like Eldar and SM, It can be a slow moving CC force like
Tyranids or orks, or it can be a shooty army like IG, Squats and Slann. All
nicly wrapped up in the 3 army lists we have today.

I think se need to work out the chaos undivided list first and then see if
we really need to make separate CSM and Cultist army list. IMHO a good,
solid, back to basic and balanced Chaos list should give the player the
opportunity to focus his army in the direction desired without corrupting
the balance of the game.

As I said I regard Chaos as a CC army, albeit their lack of good
transportation opportunities. This is compencated by partly large number of
troops in a detachment, and really good CC values. They are also equipped
with ceirtain equippment that will protect their advance. Tzeench towers
will give them cover, Plague tower and Lord of battles wil soak up incomming
fire.
For me this is the essence of chaos! I believe the balance problem with
caos, arises with the Marines. This is because the Marines are so different
in nature from the rest of the army. This I believe can be solved in two
easy steps.

Firstly let the Marine legions become special cards that the primarcs could
take with them into battle. However, in order for this to work properly we
should check to see if ceirtain other Chaos engines could be classified as
special cards also! For instance Banelord Titans, Firelords, Contagion
Plague Engines and Slaanesh knights.

Secondly increase the price of rhinos for chaos from 50 to a 100 or even 150
points. And of course deny Chaos Thunderhawks.

Comments please!

Nils
Lord of Winter