Opinions of Proxy Infantry...

From: Maksim-Smelchak <max200_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 22:32:32 -0800

Peter,

Here are my opinions:

OGRE: Very cool pieces scaled at around 8mm (bigger than most Epic). They
pretty much all look the same so they need good paintjobs to differentiate
them. Some of the newer sets come with heavy weapons (a missile launcher and
a support cannon) that are very nifty.

BATTLETECH: I have Davion, Kurita, and Elementals from the old Ral Partha
line and they are very cool although scaled larger than Epic around 8mm
(bigger than most Epic).

IRREGULAR: These are plain-Jane figures (the sci-fi ones) although
outstanding value for the price. I scale them at around 6mm even though
they're pretty blobby (Look fine next to Epic if much less detailed and, of
course, blobby). I bought mine second-hand so I'm not sure which figures are
which code. I like them though.

SCOTIA: The power armor guys are outstanding. The rest of them are very
structurally weak, but neat-looking. I built the marines and guys I believe
to be "combat rangers in envirosuits," which look pretty neat. Again, I
bought mine second-hand so I'm not sure which figures are which code. A bad
part about Scotias is that they have a lot of casting errors (missing detail
from thin parts of the hold like hands, arms, and legs). I scale them around
6mm and they look just fine next to most Epic figures.

GZG: They guys even have round bases that fit really well into plastic Epic
bases. They're scaled around 6 to 7mm and look fine with most Epic pieces
although they're pretty expensive (most packs have around 48 figures with
bases although I don't remember how many exactly). The variety of pieces is
outstanding considering that it's pretty hard to make huge differentiation
in 6mm scale.

Alternative Armies: I like their figures the best out of the many proxies
available even though they made a very short run of 6mm figures (very hard
to find used or even new). Some of their "marines" look the praetorian guard
from "Return of the Jedi." I'll have to send in the pictures. If anyone is
interested, I have contact information to order them (have to order special
since they're no longer on catalogue).

In addition, I have a lot of microarmor infantry (H&R/Navwar, GHQ, C&C,
Irregular, etc.) that are well worth seeing. Ralph AKA Legion-4 recommends
using microarmor figures for Inperial Guard. I quite agree. My Jordanians
(complete with Keffiyeh AKA head wrap) look great as Tallarns (So do the
Egyptians for that matter).

Cheers and Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

P.S.
I started basing all of my infantry on 10mmx40mm or 20mmx20mm bases after
Epic-40k came out. I never liked Spearhead basing (1&1/4x1&1/4" squares)
anyway. At worst, I temporarily hotglue my Epic bases on MSH squares until I
stop playing Spearhead. Since I mostly play Epic, Dirtside II, and OGRE,
Epic-basing works fine for me. I uses US pennies also.