Re: [NetEpic ML] Ramblings from the EPICentre

From: Gunnar Strand <Gunnar.Strand_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:03:36 +0100

Hi Tom,

NetEpic Webmaster wrote:
> 1.
>
> >At that time I was designing an epic map tool for a >net epic campaign
> (which I think was the start of the >Netepic rules, IIRC) and today I
> found it, unpacked >it and recompiled it. Aaah...the memories. Don't
> >think it ever got used, though.
>
> Hi Gunnar,
>
> I don't suppose I could have a look at your map tool? We are exploring
> ways of implementing a campaign, and are sorely lacking technology :), I
> am considering coding something from scratch, but if there is already a
> solution then that would be ideal :).
>
> Tom.

Sure you can, but it was written under unix using the curses
library and here is a screenshot:

-- -- -1 -1 -1 -- -- ?----------------------------?
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- |7,5 woods |
   -- -1 -2 -2 -1 -- -- |Level: 1 |
   -- -- -- -- -- -- -- |Dark Angels |
-- -- -1 -2 -2 -1 -- |Reaver Titan 1 |
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- |medium_titan |
   -- -- -1 %1 %1 %% -- | |
   -- -- -- t1 %% %% -- | |
-- -- -- %% %% %% %% | |
-- -- -- %% %% %% %% | |
   -- -- -- %% %% %% -- | |
   -- -- -- %% %% %% -- | |
                               ?----------------------------?
default.map 1 X,Y: 14,6 Map: 7,5 Unit: 0 : 0

No fancy graphics, no mouse. The prupose was being able to
play battles via pbem. No quite what you expected perhaps?
:-)

I would probably recommend doing something using Java, that
way anybody with a PC or Mac can use the tool. What is it
that you are looking for? A tool for moving units on a
campaign map, drawing arrows and adding labels? If so then
you are probably in luck. I am working on an operational
map tool for a different game, but it could probably be used
by any campaign as well. If that's what you are looking for,
then you can have a look here: http://www.gustra.org/jcocat/

Cheers,

Gunnar