[5.0] Chaos revision

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:12:34 -0400

Hi!

Here continues the reminder of the chaos books. Certain tables have been deleted for the review because the have redundant information.

Chaos Praetorian Class Units

Plague Tower

This gigantic war machine is dedicated to Nurgle and contains the essence of a Great Unclean One. This unit counts as a Daemon Engine, Greater Daemon and Praetorian and follows the full rules for these types of units. Although a Greater Daemon it must be given orders normally. It also has transport capabilities and may carry up to 11 stands, regardless of size (even Greater Daemons), when the Tower is destroyed, stands inside can escape destruction on a 4+ on a D6.

When in CC with a super heavy vehicles or units in a fortress/ building, troops inside the Tower can make a boarding action in which they gain +D6 to their close assault for that first round of combat only. If they wish to attack other enemy types (infantry, vehicles, etc) the occupants must disembark as normal.

The Plague Tower possesses several weapons systems that include the dreaded Plague cannon. This weapon fires a normal barrage template. Models destroyed by this weapon are not removed but turned over on their side. At the start of each subsequent orders phase (before orders are placed) place a barrage template on each model on its side. Any model touched by the template will be infected by the plague on a roll of 4+ on a D6 and must make an unmodified save to avoid destruction. These secondary casualties should also be upturned and follow the same procedure in following turns.

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Plague Tower
15 cm
Hit location template
+8
Rot Cannon
Hell Cannon
Plague Cannon
Bolters
50 cm
25 cm
25 cm
15 cm
8 BPs
2
4 BPs
8
3+
4+
5+
6+
-4
-2
-1
0
Carries 11 stands, Stands escape on 4+, add D6 to close combat score when boarding, Special rules

>>>No comment, seems fine as is.

Chaos Titan Class Units

Chaos Titan Types

Chaos armies use many Titan class units. Some of those were originally Imperial machines captured in the Horus Heresy and more or less mutated into new Chaos forms, and the others are Chaos creations.

>>One issue that needs to be resolved is what titan weapons are available to chaos titans, will they be chaos only weapons or will weapons from the basic list be included too. Opinions?

Lord of Battle

The Lord of Battle is a gigantic Titan class war machine dedicated to Khorne. The Lord of Battle follows all rules pertaining Greater Daemons except that due to its mechanical nature Chaos Card effects (as described on the card) cannot be applied to it. If damaged (via firing or close combat) the Lord of Battles, as a Greater Daemon, can use Chaos cards to avoid destruction. This must be done before the dice to determine damage are rolled.

Although it is a Greater Daemon the Lord of Battle must be given orders and is restricted to Advance and Charge Orders only. The Lord of Battle is considered a Daemon Engine.

Lord of Battles follows the purchasing rules for Titan weaponry, except that the hull fire throwers and the head cannon are included in the cost of the hull. Fire throwers ignore to hit modifiers for cover.

Weapon
Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
TSM
Notes

Head Cannon
50 cm
1
4+
-1

Hull Fire Thrower
15 cm
6
5+
0
Ignores to hit modifiers for cover

Banelord

Banelords are Warlord Titans that are captured and deformed by Chaos. These abominations can be fitted with tail weapons in addition to the normal 4 weapon mounts. Banelords must always be given Advance or Charge Orders. They have a saving throw of 3+ on a D6 against psychic attacks. If the Chaos player is winning (has the higher Victory Points total from the previous turn), all Banelords receive +1 on their saving and To Hit rolls, and roll an extra D6 in close combat.

>>>No change.

Imperial Titans

In the times of the Horus Heresy many Imperial Titans are captured and their crews converted to the cause of Chaos. Some of these Titans have been mutated into Chaos forms (see Banelord above and Slaanesh Titans below), but some of them still retain more or less their original shapes. So, the Chaos player may purchase Warlord, Reaver and Warhound Titans and fit them with weapons from either the Chaos of Imperial Titan weapon lists according to the Purchasing Titan rules.
Refer to the Tech-Guard Booklet for the hit location template and damage tables for all Titan types above.

>>> See comment above about possibly restriction chaos titan choices.

Chaos Titan Weapons

Bloodletter Battlehead/ Lord of Battle Head

The Bloodletter Battlehead is a hellish variant of the standard weapon head, which has been horribly mutated so that it resembles the features of the demonic servant of Khorne known as the Bloodletter. Jutting from the mouth of this horrific visage is a large assault cannon capable of spewing high explosive rounds at an enormous rate of fire. The Banelord Titan is invariably fitted with a Bloodletter Battlehead.

Weapon
Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

Bloodletter Head
25 cm
2
4+
-1

Lord of Battle Head
25 cm
2
4+
-2

Chaos Energy Whip

This is a close combat weapon used by Chaos Titans. The triple whip lashes against the target causing light damage to Titans and scything through opposing infantry and vehicles. The whip also acts as a conductor for a massive electrical jolt intended to overload void shields and burn out circuitry in the opposing Titan/Praetorian.
The whip is used at the very start of the close combat segment, before any close combat is resolved. Roll a D6 for every enemy model in combat and on a score of 4+ it is hit. Those hit must save at -1 to avoid destruction. An enemy Titan/Praetorian automatically loses D6 shields if hit. A Titan with fewer shields than the number rolled, the excess hits are added to the CAF of the Titan using the whip

Chaos Titan Tails

Chaos Titans have mutated into hellish mixtures of flesh and metal. Some of these monstrous creations carry weapons mounted on long, sinuous tails, and use them to crush and gouge their enemies. A Titan fitted with a tail may add +2 to its CAF. Khornate Titans tails are fitted with a battle cannon. It also functions as a close combat device adding a +2 to its CAF. It may not be fired and used as a close combat in the same turn.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

50 cm
1
5+
-2
Adds +2 to CAF

Deathstorm

The Deathstorm fires salvos of heavy rocket powered shells from its multiple barrels. It is extremely effective at cutting a swathe through troops or lightly armored vehicles, laying down a curtain of explosions and flying shrapnel in seconds.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

75 cm
6
5+
-1

Doomburner

The Doomburner fires a bolt of super heated molten metal that bores through its target in a searing flash of flames. Doomburners are especially good for destroying heavily armored Titans and Vehicles. This weapon ignores to hit modifiers for cover and, although it is not a template weapon, it may attack buildings. Buildings must save at a -3 modifier when hit to avoid destruction. Damage rolls against Titans/Praetorians are made with a +1 modifier.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

75 cm
1
3+
-3
+1 to damage rolls against Titans/ Praetorians, may attack buildings

Doomfist

The Doomfist is a deadly close hand-to-hand weapon that combines the close combat abilities of a chain fist and power fist. In addition it is armed with a pair of melta-cannons. This weapon cannot shoot and be used as a close combat weapon in the same turn.

If the Doomfist is used in close combat it adds an extra D6 to resolve the combat. A Titan so armed when it wins close combat may choose to make a special grab attack instead of rolling for normal damage.
If the player selects to make a grab attack, he must select a location (from the Titans corresponding damage location chart) and roll a D6 with a +1 modifier. The defending player also rolls a D6, but with no modifiers. If the Titan making the grab attacks scores higher, the location the player selected receives maximum damage (the most damaging result). If the result is a tie the defender has slipped out of the grasp, but receives normal damage (resolve normally by rolling once on the damage table for that location). If the defenders score is higher, it has broken free and receives no damage.

Titans in base-to-base contact with buildings may elect, in addition to normal attacks, to hit the building once. The building must make a save with a -4 modifier or be destroyed. Buildings that fail a save versus this weapon are counted as destroyed, not damaged.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

25 cm
2
4+
-3
Adds D6 to close combat score, destroys buildings

Hellblade

The Hellblade is a white hot, powered cleaver capable of carving through armor like a hot knife through butter! A Chaos Titan armed with a Hellblade adds +3 to its CAF and if it wins the combat it may elect to make a special slash attack. Select the location of the hit on the Titan/Praetorian and roll for damage as usual, then roll the pair of aiming dice. If the roll indicates a hit on a different square of the Titan template, roll for damage against that location as well. A building struck with a Hellblade must make a saving throw with a -2 modifier or be destroyed. Buildings that fail a save versus this weapon are counted as destroyed, not damaged.

Havoc Missile Rack

The Havoc Missile rack is loaded with six deadly Havoc missiles. One or more missiles can be fired in a deadly salvo that roars towards the target at ground level to avoid enemy fire, exploding to cover a wide area in death and destruction. The Havoc missile usually occupies both carapace weapon mounts and is commonly used by Banelord Battle Titans. The missiles may be fired individually or as a salvo of one or more missiles (remember to keep track of missiles fired).

Each missile creates a barrage with 8 barrage points and if more than one is fired in a turn all these must be placed so as they touch at least one other barrage template.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

75 cm
8 BPs
3+
-1

Hellstrike Cannon

The Hellstrike cannon fires a huge shell that is loaded with a highly corrosive and inflammable mixture appropriately known as hellfire. The shells are set to explode above the target, so that they splatter over a large area. This weapon ignores modifier for cover.

Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

50 cm
6 BPs
4+
-1
Ignores cover to hit modifiers

>>> These are the basic chaos weapons. No changes.

Chaos Slaanesh Titans

The Chaos God Slaanesh employs many scout Titans that can be attached as specific minion cards to any Greater Daemon of Slaanesh. These units have fixed armament and fixed-point values and thus are not subject to the Purchasing Titans rules. All Slaanesh Scout Titans possess the Glamour of Slaanesh and the psychic saving throw as described for Daemon Knights in the Slaanesh section above.

Subjugator

These are fast moving Scout Titans that carry several special weapons. The psi-pulse uses warp energy to create a physical psychic attack of great power. Normally it has 1 attack die but if it is on First Fire orders it receives 2 attack dice. This weapon counts as a physical psychic attack. The Subjugator is also armed with a Hell Claw for close combat and gives it an extra D6 to its close combat score. If damage is made against Titans/Praetorians a +1 bonus is added to the template damage roll.

Questor

This Scout Titan is more heavily armored and armed than the Subjugator. It carries the Tormentor cannon, which provides a large amount of firepower.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
To Hit Roll
Target’s Save Modifier
Notes

Subjugator
30 cm
Hit location template
+5
Psi-Pulse
Lascannon
Bolters
Hell Claw
75 cm
75 cm
15 cm
-
1-2
1
4
-
3+
5+
6+
-
-3
-1
0
Psi-pulse 2 attack dice if on First Fire
Hell Claw +D6 to close combat score

Questor
30 cm
Hit location template
+5
Tormentor
Lascannon
Bolter
50 cm
75 cm
15 cm
6
2
4
5+
5+
6+
-1
-1
0

See the end of this booklet for Hit Location Templates and Damage Tables.

>>> No changes.

Optional Section

Some chaos players may desire to play a specific branch of chaos. This section provides rules and new units to do just that. These rules are entirely optional and if used the rules here supercede the standard rules.

>>Note, I included this section so people can compare their ideas for these chaos chapters as opposed to th4 ones already in the book. A decision should be made as to the final character of these chapters.

Chaos Marine Legions

The following listings provide rules for the Traitor Legions of Chaos. There are no restrictions on what Legion Company cards you field or how many of each type of Legion you field. This allows players to field a Night Lords’ Raiding force, a Thousand Sons’ battle force or a Black Crusade of several Legions fighting under the same banner. Each Company purchased will receive its own Chaos Reward card (if entitled to one), so it is possible to have several copies of the same Reward in a Chaos Marine army. In addition, Special Units listed under a particular Legion can only be fielded by Companies loyal to that particular Legion. These rules are OPTIONAL

Chaos Marine & Terminator Armor Saves

Chaos Marines, being defected from the Imperial Space Marine ranks, have genetically altered bodies and special armor connected to their nervous system to protect them against the great variety of weapons used in the 40th millennium, not to mention the “rewards” bestowed upon them by their Chaos masters. This greater resiliency of them is reflected in their battle statistics. Combat armored Chaos Marine Infantry have a saving throw of 6+ in a D6, and Chaos Terminators have a save of 5+, which is modifiable to 6+ but not below that. The new save values do not apply to other Space Marine support cards that Chaos can field.

Example: a Basilisk barrage hits a Chaos Marine stand and a Terminator stand. Basilisks have a –2 Target’s save Modifier. The Marine, with a basic save of 6+ now has to roll an 8+ on a D6, which is impossible, and destroyed. On the other hand, the Terminator stand has a basic save of 5+. The modified save however does not require a (5+2)=7 but still a 6+ on a D6 since the Terminator armor save cannot be modified below 6. The stand rolls a 6 and saves.

>>Some of these rules, such as army construction will change due to the new division in the chaos army lists. I omitted repetitive parts on chaos minions from the optional section since they were mentioned in the first part of the chaos revision.

The Black Legion*

Once known as the Lunar Wolves, then the Sons of Horus, the Black Legion are feared throughout the Imperium. Few Chaos Traitor Legions pursue the destruction of the Imperium with as much zeal and determination as the Black Legion. Lead by their Warmaster Abaddon, the Black Legion constantly lead raids and Black Crusades against the warriors of the Imperium, hopeful of one day bringing about the death of the Emperor and downfall of the Imperium.

Black Legion Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Rapiers, Thudd guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Black Legion in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Black Legion follow Chaos Undivided, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to any of the Chaos Powers as Support Cards (i.e.- Chaos Daemon Engines, Lesser Daemons, Disc Riders of Tzeentch, Juggernauts of Khorne and Slaanesh Beast Riders).

(Designer’s Notes: The Black Legion is designed to be your stock standard, vanilla Chaos Marine Legion. Few Special Rules, no Chaos Reward few restrictions on troop choices. The Black Legion can be used to represent any Chaos Traitor or Renegade Marines of your choice, allowing for players to create their own uniquely painted Chaos Marine troops).

The Word Bearers*

The Word Bearers are the most fanatically puritan of the Unaligned Legions. Their religious fervor and devotion to Chaos Undivided is legendary. They are known to go into a fanatical rage on the battlefield, charging incredible distances and unleashing massive barrages of fire.

Chaos Reward: RELIGIOUS FERVOUR
Play- On any Word Bearers unit at any time.
Effect- the unit may choose to either a) Double their base move or b) gain +1 attack dice. This effect last until the end of the turn.

Word Bearer Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Whirlwinds, Land Raiders and Land Speeders. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Word Bearers in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Word Bearers follow Chaos Undivided, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to any of the Chaos Powers as Support Cards (i.e.- Chaos Daemon Engines, Lesser Daemons, Disc Riders of Tzeentch, Juggernauts of Khorne and Slaanesh Beast Riders). They may also purchase Bloodthirsters, Lords of Change, Great Unclean Ones and Keepers of Secrets Greater Daemons as Special Cards.

Special Unit: Chaplains

Chaplains are the religious leaders of the Space marine forces as well as formidable warriors due to their unshakable faith and determination. The Word Bearers are the only Traitor Legion known to have retained Chaplains amongst their ranks, although their devotion is dedicated to Chaos Undivided rather than the Emperor. All Word Bearer stands within 10cm of the Chaplain may add +1 to its close combat score. The bonus applies to all the Word Bearer troops stands including bikes and Veteran Marines.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Word Bearers Chaplain
10 cm
6+
+4
Pistols & Others
25 cm
2
6+
0
Imperial troops within 10cm +1 to CAF, HQ Unit, Elite. Infantry

The Night Lords*

The Night Lords are known for being ruthless warriors, caring nothing for the suffering of their victims and rivaling even the Dark Eldar for their acts of senseless slaughter, murder and torture. The look down on the Marines of the Imperium as weaklings, mere shadows of the mighty Marine Legions of the Horus Heresy. They even shun the other Traitor Legions, seeing them as fools for selling their souls to the Chaos Powers. So horrendous is the Night Lords’ reputation that even the most stalwart warriors have been known to fall back in the face of a Night Lords’ attack.

Chaos Reward: FEARSOME REPUTATION
Play- On any Night Lords unit at the start of the Chaos Player’s turn.
Effect- All enemy units within 10cm of the Night Lords unit automatically receive Fall Back orders, exactly as if they had failed a Morale Check. Units immune to Morale Checks remain unaffected. Enemy units may try to recover at the end of their turn as normal.

Night Lords Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Rapiers, Thudd guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Black Legion in the days of the Horus Heresy.

The Night Lords will not use the following Chaos units: Minotaurs, Trolls, Beastmen, Cultists, Chaos Squats or Chaos Androids. They feel that such twisted abominations or foolish weaklings are beneath their attentions and will not recruit them into their ranks or fight with them as part of their army.

Special Unit: Raptor Marines

Night Lords Companies often deploy specially trained Marines, equipped similarly to Loyalist Assault marines. Raptor Marines all have jumps packs that enable them to move faster and skim above terrain features and man-made obstacles. Their agility and specialized melee weapons make them superior close combat troops and allows the Night Lords to quickly surround their enemy, cutting off any hope or retreat.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Raptor Marines
15 cm
6+
+3
Pistols/Swords
25 cm
1
5+
0
Jump Packs, Infantry

The Iron Warriors*

The Iron Warriors were known across the Imperium as the only troops to have when holding in or breaking a siege. Since their fall after the Horus Heresy they have been a thorn in the side of the Imperium, throwing up powerful citadels in their wake, holding conquered planets against impossible odds and conquering even the most heavily fortified worlds. They are expert at assaulting enemy fortifications and forcing troops out of built-up areas.

Chaos Reward: SIEGE BREAKER
Play- On any Iron Warriors unit at the start Close Combat Phase.
Effect- If fighting in a built-up area (in buildings, rubble, trenches or fortifications) the unit doubles its CAF until the end of the turn.

Iron Warriors Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Flamer Marines, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Rapiers, Thudd guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Iron Warriors in the days of the Horus Heresy.

Special Unit: Iron Dreadnoughts

The Iron Warriors deploy specially modified Chaos Dreadnoughts, designed to lay down effective fire support to and Iron Warriors assault or to destroy enemy fortifications. Iron Dreadnought is equipped with special Siege Missiles. Siege Missiles utilize a sonic shockwave to undermine the foundations of buildings. And Iron Dreadnought stand may declare it is firing a Siege Missile instead of its normal attack. The stand must target a building for the shot which if hit must pass its save (with the Dreadnought’s –2 TSM) or be destroyed. If the building makes the save, any units within the building are unaffected.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Iron Dreadnought
10 cm
3+
+1
Missiles
75 cm
2
4+
-2
Siege Missiles, Walker

The Alpha Legion*

The Alpha Legion was renown in their time for their tactical genius and ability to react brilliantly in any situation. Currently the operate many units of specially trained Chaos Cultists to infiltrate enemy positions and wreak havoc amongst enemy forces.

Chaos Reward: TACTICAL GENIUS
Play- On any Alpha Legion unit at the start of the Chaos Player’s turn.
Effect- The unit is treated as a Command Unit for the purposes of Orders, Movement and Firing. This effect lasts until the beginning of the next turn.

Alpha Legion Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Rapiers, Thudd guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Alpha Legion in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Alpha Legion follow Chaos Undivided, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to any of the Chaos Powers as Support Cards (i.e.- Chaos Daemon Engines, Lesser Daemons, Disc Riders of Tzeentch, Juggernauts of Khorne and Slaanesh Beast Riders).

Special Unit: Cultist Infiltrators

In an attempt to undermine Imperial forces, the Alpha Legion train special Cultist troops in the art of stealth, infiltration and sabotage. They deploy these troops through out the Imperium to disrupt communications, supplies and incite rebellion. On the battlefield the Alpha Legion deploys these Infiltrators to scout ahead of the main force. Cultist Infiltrators may infiltrate after initial deployment up to their full charge move before the battle begins.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Cultist Infiltrators
10 cm
None
+1
Laspistols
25 cm
1
5+
0
Infiltrate, Infantry

The Thousand Sons*

Under the guidance of their Primarch, Magnus the Red, the Thousand Sons became powerful psychics and sorcerers. Magnus was the Primarch who tried desperately to warn the Emperor of Horus’ treachery and possession but the Emperor, distrustful of all things sorcerous, ordered the destruction of the Thousand Sons and their World. With no other choice, they threw their lot in with Horus and Tzeentch, the master of Magic and have been his champions ever since.

Chaos Reward: MAGIC OF TZEENTCH
Play: On a Thousand Sons unit in the combat phase
Effect: The unit may make an extra attack this turn, combining their magical power to create a vortex of energy. Place the vortex template within 25cm of the unit. The vortex acts exactly the like one produced by a vortex missile.

Thousand Sons Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Rapiers, Thudd guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Thousand Sons in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Thousand Sons follow Tzeentch, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to Tzeentch as Support Cards (i.e.- Tzeentch Daemon Engines, Lesser Daemons and Disc Riders of Tzeentch). They may also purchase Lords of Change, Warp Palaces and Magnus the Red as Special Cards.

Special Unit: Automatons

After the casting of the Rubric of Ahriman, those least capable of magic within the ranks of the Thousand Sons were turned into walking suits of armor, their bodies destroyed and their spirits forced to inhabit their armor for all eternity, fighting in the service of Tzeentch until the end of time. Mindless and utterly fearless, these automatons are terrifying opponents. Laying down impressive fire, advancing relentlessly and unflinchingly while taking horrendous damage and never falling back.

Automatons are immune to all Morale Checks and never receive Fall Back orders. As they have no bodies or minds, they are also immune to non-physical Psychic attacks. They are also unaffected by all forms of fear and thus may always First Fire at Daemons (and similar creatures). Due to their automaton nature they have no initiative and must be controlled at all times. Automatons may only be given orders if within 10cm of a Chaos Champion of Tzeentch or a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch. If there is no Champion or Daemon within range, the Automatons will Advance on the nearest enemy and fire on them in the Advance Fire phase. Due to their awkward and stiff motions, Automatons may never receive Charge Orders but will fight normally if engaged in Close Combat.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Automatons
10 cm
5+ Fixed
+3
Missile Launcher
50 cm
1
4+
-1
Infantry, Special Rules

The Death Guard*

Putrescent followers of Nurgle, the Death Guard are particularly horrible perversions of the Space marines of the Imperium. Rotting and pestilent, foul and rank the Death Guard revel in their mission to spread the disease and decay of their lord, Nurgle.

Chaos Reward: NURGLE’S ROT
Play: On a Death Guards unit in the end phase
Effect: All models (friend and foe) within 15cm contract a hideous rotting disease. Any model that is not a follower of Nurgle must make a saving throw to survive (models without saving throw save on a 6+). If the model fails it is destroyed.

Death Guard Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Thudd guns and Mole Mortars. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Death Guard in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Death Guard follow Nurgle, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to Tzeentch as Support Cards (i.e.- Nurgle Contagion Engines and Lesser Daemons). They may also Great Unclean Ones, Plague Towers and Mortarion as Special Cards.

Special Unit: Breath of Nurgle

Specially modified to emulate their Patron God as well as to further spread contagion in their wake, the Death Guard have specially modified a number of their Rhinos with a weapon known as the Breath of Nurgle. This foul creation rumbles forward, spewing forth a foul mix of rotted flesh, maggots, vomit and other foulness. Use the large teardrop template and place it touching the Breath of Nurgle vehicle within a 180-degree front arc. Any model under the template is destroyed on a 4+ (ignoring modifiers for cover) with no saving throw (even models with a fixed save may not save). If the stream affects a Titan/ Praetorian, it loses one shield or takes one hit with a ‑1 save modifier. This is a physical psychic attack.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Breath of Nurgle
25 cm
4+
0
Breath of Nurgle
Template
4+
No Save
 Ignores Cover, Special Rules

The World Eaters*

Always the most violent and martial of the Legions, the dedication of Angron and the World Eaters to Khorne was never in doubt. The World Eaters fight with a determination, frenzy and martial prowess to rival even the most berserk Space Wolf Lord or highly trained Assassin. Long ago they abandoned any formal Legion structure to their fanatical bloodlust and now tend to fight wherever and whenever they can. Still, the call of their Primarch or the might of a Daemon Prince can force them together to fight for the glory of Khorne once more.

Chaos Reward: BLOOD RAGE OF KHORNE
Play: On a World Eaters unit in the movement phase
Effect: All of the models in the unit may make a charge move this turn even if they have other orders. Units with charge orders triple their move allowance. All the models in the unit roll an extra D6 in close combat this turn.

World Eaters Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Vindicators, Land Raiders and Land Speeders. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the World Eaters in the days of the Horus Heresy. Also, some of equipment is not considered worthy of the World Eaters or their god.

As the World Eaters follow Khorne, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to Khorne as Support Cards (i.e.- Khorne Daemon Engines, Lesser Daemons and Juggernauts of Khorne). They may also purchase Bloodthirsters, Lords of Battle and Angron as Special Cards.

Special Unit: Khorne Berserkers

Even amongst the ranks of the World Eaters there are those that are considered extreme berserkers. Hurling themselves on upon the enemy without thought for life or limb, they exist only to kill in the name of Khorne. Khorne Berserkers are immune to Morale Checks (they are mindless killers after all). Also if the Chaos player is winning (has the higher Victory Points total from the previous turn) then all Khorne Berserkers triple their base move.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Khorne Berserkers
15 cm
6+
+6
Swords/Axes
-
-
-
-
Elite, Infantry, Special Rules

The Emperor’s Children*

Hedonistic and sensual, the Emperor’s Children are the most perverse of the Traitor Legions. They indulge in every pleasure of the mind, body and soul and long ago sold their souls to Slaanesh, the Lord of Pleasure. One the battlefield, they immerse themselves in the hedonistic pleasure of bloodletting and revel in the screams of the dying.

Chaos Reward: LURE OF SLAANESH
Play: On an Emperor’s Children unit in the movement phase
Effect: Choose any enemy unit within 25cm that has not moved yet. You take it over for this turn and choose where it will move and what it will attack, within the restrictions of its orders and the normal rules.

Emperor’s Children Companies may purchase the following Space Marine units: Bikes, Terminators, Rhinos, Thunderhawks (as Special Cards only), Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Predators, Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Thudd guns and Mole Mortars. All these units possess the same stats as their Imperial counterpart as well as the same cost, morale value and VPs. The above list is absolute, units not mentioned are unavailable since they either did not exist or were not available to the Emperor’s Children in the days of the Horus Heresy.

As the Emperor’s Children follow Slaanesh, they are permitted to purchase Minion Cards loyal to Slaanesh as Support Cards (i.e.- Slaanesh Daemon Knights and Scout Titans, Lesser Daemons and Beast Riders of Slaanesh). They may also purchase Keepers of Secrets and Fulgrim as Special Cards.

Special Unit: Noise Marines

After millennia of exposure to pleasures that would kill a normal human, there are many amongst the ranks of the emperor’s Children whose senses have become dulled over the years. Eager for more and greater stimulation they construct strange sonic weapons and take to field to experience the perverse joys of battle once again.

Summary

Troop Type
Move
Saving Throw
CAF
Weapons
Range
Attack Dice
Roll To Hit
TSM
Notes

Noise Marines
10 cm
6+
+2
Sonic Blasters
50cm
4BPs
-2
Elite, Infantry

>>>I have no comments regarding the chaos chapters since I will let members decide which ones to change and let remain the same.

Chaos Renegade Armies

>>This entire section should be deleted, since due to the new divisions in the chaos list it doesn’t make much sense any more (you can tailor make such a “renegade” army depending on which aspect of the chaos lists you use).

Chaos Reward Cards

BEWEAPONED EXTREMITIES

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
MACE TAIL

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
TENTACLES

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
HORNS

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn

MULTIPLE ARMS

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
BEAKED

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
POISONOUS BITE

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
CLOVEN HOOVES

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn

LONG SPINES

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
FANGS

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
SCORPION TAIL

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn
RAZOR-SHARP FANGS

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn

SKULL FACE

Play: On an enemy unit that is within 15cm of one of your units at any time

Effect: The unit must take an immediate morale check, even if it hasn’t been broken yet
TRANSPARENT SKIN

Play: On an enemy unit that is within 15cm of one of your units at any time

Effect: The unit must take an immediate morale check, even if it hasn’t been broken yet
FLAMING SKULL FACE

Play: On an enemy unit that is within 15cm of one of your units at any time

Effect: The unit must take an immediate morale check, even if it hasn’t been broken yet
ROTTING FLESH

Play: On an enemy unit that is within 15cm of one of your units at any time

Effect: The unit must take an immediate morale check, even if it hasn’t been broken yet

WARTY SKIN

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit increase their saving throw by +1 point for this turn. Models that do not normally save receive a saving throw of 6+.
SCALLY SKIN

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit increase their saving throw by +1 point for this turn. Models that do not normally save receive a saving throw of 6+.
RESILIENT

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit increase their saving throw by +1 point for this turn. Models that do not normally save receive a saving throw of 6+.
HORRIBLE STENCH

Play: On a model in the close combat segment

Effect: All enemy models within 2D6cm have their CAF halved.

UNCONTROLLABLE FLATULANCE

Play: On a model in the close combat segment

Effect: All enemy models within 2D6cm have their CAF halved.
SPITS ACID

Play: On a model just before it attacks in the close combat segment

Effect: The model attacks one opposing model with its acid spit before the combat is resolved; the opponent is hit automatically and must make a saving throw with a -1 modifier
BREATHES FIRE

Play: On a model just before it attacks in the close combat segment

Effect: The model attacks one opposing model with its fiery breath before the combat is resolved; the opponent is hit automatically and must make a saving throw with a -1 modifier
ENORMOUSLY FAT

Play: On a model just before it attacks in the close combat segment

Effect: The model attacks one opposing model with a special flying body-slam before the combat is resolved; the opponent is hit automatically and must make a saving throw

TELEKINESIS

Play: On any model except a titan, in the CC segment
Effect: Choose one model within 25cm and move it up to 10cm.You may move it up the model as if it were a skimmer, ignoring impassable terrain or enemy units. Models that finish in impassable terrain are destroyed. Note that you may use this power on units in your own side
LEVITATION

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All models in the unit may make pop-up attacks for this turn only
WINGS

Play: On a unit at any time

Effect: All models in the unit may move as if they were skimmers this turn, and may make pop-up attacks in the combat phase
WARP FRENZY

Play: On a model at any time

Effect: Draw D6 Chaos Cards at random from the deck and apply their effects immediately to this model

BLOOD RAGE

Play: On a unit at the end of the close combat segment

Effect: The models in the unit may move up to 10cm and make a second set of close combat attacks, resolved in exactly the same way as the first
BRIGHTLY PATTERNED SKIN

Play: On a unit in the combat phase

Effect: The models in the unit become so dazzling that any attacks on them this turn suffer a -1 to hit modifier
INVISIBILITY

Play: On a unit in the combat phase

Effect: None of the models in the unit may attack or be attacked for the rest of the turn
CRYSTALLINE BODY

Play: When a model is hit by a laser of any kind

Effect: The model's crystal body reflects the attack back at the attacker; the attacker is hit instead of the model, and must make a saving throw to avoid destruction

HYPNOTIC GAZE

Play: On an enemy stand in the close combat segment
Effect: Choose any model within 15cm that has not attacked yet. You may take over it over and choose what it will attack, within the restrictions of its orders and the normal rules for making attacks. The victim will not attack it. There is no morale save.
BURNING BODY

Play: On a model that is in a wood or building, at any time
Effect: The model's burning body starts a fire. Roll a D6 in the end phase of each turn:
1 Fire goes out
2-3 Fire carries on
4-6 All models in the area are destroyed and the area may not be entered for the rest of the game
IRON HARD SKIN

Play: When a model is eliminated for any reason

Effect: The iron hard skin deflected the attack and the model is unharmed
PLAGUE BEARER

Play: On a model that has just lost in close combat
Effect: Your model is eliminated as normal, but the enemy model that has won contracts a horrible disease that infects all models (friend or foe) within 2D6cm this turn. Roll for each infected model in the end phase - on a 4-6 it dies, no saving throw

DUPLICATION

Play: On a troop stand in the orders phase
Effect: The troop stand creates an exact twin of itself by bringing a destroyed model of exactly the same type back into play. The duplicated model counts as being part of the same unit as the model it was duplicated from, and does count towards that unit's break point
LONG LEGS

Play: On a unit in the movement phase

Effect: All the models in the unit may double their move allowance this turn
GROWTH

Play: On a model in the close combat segment

Effect: The model doubles in size and so doubles its CAF this turn
REGENERATION

Play: On a model that has been eliminated
Effect: Turn the model on its side; it may not be attacked and does not count as a destroyed model towards the unit break point. Roll a D6 in the next orders phase:
1-3 fails to regenerate – remove the model
4-6 regenerates – place the model upright

EYESTALKS

Play: On a unit in the combat phase.

Effect: All the models in the unit are able to make maximum use of cover, and any to hit modifiers they receive are doubled for this turn (i.e., a -1 to hit modifier becomes a -2 to hit modifier
TENTACLES

Play: On a unit in the close combat segment

Effect: All the models in the unit add +1 to their CAF this turn

Specific Chaos Cards

BLOOD RAGE OF KHORNE

Play: On a World Eaters unit in the movement phase
Effect: All of the models in the unit may make a charge move this turn even if they have other orders. Units with charge orders triple their move allowance. All the models in the unit roll an extra D6 in close combat this turn.
MAGIC OF TZEENTCH

Play: On a Thousand Sons unit in the combat phase
Effect: The unit may make an extra attack this turn, combining their magical power to create a vortex of energy. Place the vortex template within 25cm of the unit. The vortex acts exactly the like one produced by a vortex missile.
LURE OF SLAANESH

Play: On an Emperor’s Children unit in the movement phase
Effect: Choose any enemy unit within 25cm that has not moved yet. You take it over for this turn and choose where it will move and what it will attack, within the restrictions of its orders and the normal rules. There is no morale save.
NURGLE’S ROT

Play: On a Death Guards unit in the end phase
Effect: All models (friend and foe) within 15cm contract a hideous rotting disease. Any model that is not a follower of Nurgle must make a saving throw to survive (models without saving throw save on a 6+). If the model fails it is destroyed.

RELIGIOUS FERVOUR

Play- On any Word Bearers unit at any time.
Effect- the unit may choose to either a) Double their base move or b) gain +1 attack dice. This effect last until the end of the turn.

FEARSOME REPUTATION

Play- On any Night Lords unit at the start of the Chaos turn.
Effect- All enemy units within 10cm of the unit automatically receive Fall Back orders, exactly as if they had failed a Morale Check. Units immune to Morale Checks remain unaffected. Enemy units may try to recover at the end of their turn as normal.

SIEGE BREAKER

Play- On any Iron Warriors unit at the start Close Combat Phase.
Effect- If fighting in a built-up area (in buildings, rubble, trenches or fortifications) the unit doubles its CAF until the end of the turn.

TACTICAL GENIUS

Play- On any Alpha Legion unit at the start of the Chaos Player’s turn.
Effect- The unit is treated as a Command Unit for the purposes of Orders, Movement and Firing. This effect lasts until the beginning of the next turn.

>>>Many issues have cropped up over the years regarding the use of chaos cards and such. I have posted them here so members can give a final read though them and raise any and all question concerning them and perhaps adjust the wording as necessary.

>>>Regarding the following Q&A section, Jar, you should integrate them in the corresponding sections. To everyone else, if integrated should they still appear as the do now (a separate section) or delete it after integration in the corresponding section?

Opinions please?

Chaos Q&A

Demon engines
ü "Can only use charge or advance orders" this mostly refers to the khorme demon engines, demon engines from other powers do not follow this unless the rules say so. Even some khornite ones can first fire, unit description takes precedence.
ü The demon bonus starts at the beginning of the next turn. You get +1 on ALL attack dice, including barrages AND an extra d6 in close combat, no CAF bonus.

Greater demon powers
ü Keeper of secrets- it does NOT need line of sight.
ü Great unclean one, use small teardrop template, not big one
ü Lord of change-the chaos spawn does not gain extra d6 in close combat it has a maximum of 4d6 to fight, period.
ü Fulgrim- units get a morale save at -2, if failed they are controlled as per orders.
ü Mortarion- chaos player chooses which units to affect within 10cm; he may bypass units with saves to go for more vulnerable ones as long as they are in range. Titans/praetorians without shields or psy-save are hit once and use the highest saving throw for a given location

Minor demons
ü Bloodletter- regeneration is not the same as being "eliminated" therefore unit coherency MUST be maintained.
ü Horrors, if a pink demon is slain in close combat two blue demons appear engaged with the same model.
ü Contagion plague engines- as with any unit with barrage attacks if engaged in close combat it may not fire.

Chaos cards
ü General- most cards tell you EXACTLY when they can be played, those that don’t can be played ANYTIME.
ü Warty skin, scaly skin, resilient- there is a mistake in "when they can be played" it should be in the "combat segment" not close combat segment. You MUST play this card BEFORE dice are rolled, you can't roll and then see if the card is any good.
ü Horrible stench, uncontrollable flatulence, rounds CAF DOWN!
ü Telekinesis- cannot be played on praetorians either.
ü Invisibility- shots nominated against them are LOST! The unit themselves MAY NOT attack in any way, nor may they be attacked.
ü Crystalline body- ONLY works against lasers, not battlecannons, autocannons, bolters or barrages. If your not sure an attack is a laser then its NOT.
ü Hypnotic gaze-non-physical, psy-saves and shields apply.
ü Burning body- non-physical, titans and praetorians immune (add to description)
ü Iron hard skin, works for ONLY one attack not the whole turn.
ü Plague bearer- titans/praetorians immune-add to description.
ü Duplication, troop stands ONLY!!!
ü Eyestalks- the model must be in cover in order for this to work, it does not work in open ground.
ü The rest of the cards are morale and CAF bonus that are self-explanatory
Chaos marine gifts
ü General, they tell WHEN they can be played; the most liberal one is the Tzeentch power that can be cast anytime in the combat phase. All powers affect ONE of the three detachments in the company.
ü Blood rage of Khorne- triple move (30cm) and extra d6 in close combat.
ü Magic of Tzeentch- needs line of sight to target, use rules for vortex missile.
ü Lure of Slaanesh- non-physical, psy saves and shields apply. One unit affected.
ü Nurgle’s rot- non-physical power, psy-saves and shields apply. Titans/praetorians use their Highest location save.

This is ends the posting from the chaos book.

Opinions please.

Peter