Re: [NetEpic ML] Some Comments about Chaos 5.0

From: Jarreas Underwood <jarreas_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:21:20 -0500 (EST)

>Hello, my name is Justin Phillips from Hollywood Florida and I had some comments and questions about Chaos 5.0.

Yippieee! Someone who read and has specific suggestions! What a wonderful change - thank you!

>What are the stats for Daemon Princes, Sorcerer of Chaos
Undivided, and the mark of Chaos Undivided?

There aren't any. AFAIK a Mark is a sign of favor given by one of the major Chaos Powers, and Chaos Undivided has no such single source - it's a collection of all the minor unaligned entities. Hence, no such Greater Daemon or Mark.

There may well be Princes & Sorcerers that don't follow one of the major Powers, but as I've got it set up the Chaos Undivided is made up of the Marines. I didn't want to add daemons to the marine lists. This will change in the next incarnation.

>I really like the new 5.0 army list but I didn't like the
animosity rules or the limiting of chaos rewards for having
different powers in the same army. If that's what everybody wants fine, but one penalty rule should be enough. Not two.

True, but animosity can be avoided. Take a Marine Century from each Power and you've got every type of support, with no worries about animosity. The card penalty represents the difficulties in bringing the widely-differing units together, while animosity represents the problems in keeping them from each other's throats once together. When I redesign the army lists we can look at this again.

>Why do Tzeentch daemon engines get chaos rewards and no others do?

Tzeentch is the sorcerer dude, and apparently GW thought alters to him (Daemon Engines) should have a more direct connection to the raw power of Chaos, e.g. Chaos Rewards.

>Does the astral hound count as a minor daemon?

Probably. I should go back to the core rules and define "Daemon" or "Extra-dimensional" as a body type. That would also better define that the ability "Daemon Hunter" could affect.

>Does the phantom engine count as a daemon engine (if not, it
shoould)?

Nope - Daemons Engines are alters to and have significant connections with a specific Power. Phantom engines are more generic heavy artillery. They're also a new unit I read about & added, so there'll probably be a vote as to include it or not - Chaos should be lacking in the long-range firepower department, after all.

>Why can't the Word Bearers not get Cultists? I would think that
that would be right up their alley.

Got me - I added the limitation from somewhere, and I presume it's from fluff.

>No Leman Russ. This takes away from the flavor of the Chaos army list (and they've never got it anywhere in any set of rules I've ever seen).

Ok. I added it so that a cultist-based Chaos army could have some armor, and it's probably the most common tank in the galaxy. Again, it was a personal add-on and it'll get voted on.

>Get rid of the Thunderhawk and replace it with the Dreadclaw
assult boat (thats more in line with the fluff). Not as fast or as heavily armed, but better armored and able to carry the same amount of troops.

Well, this is one of the more entertaining arguements in the Chaos arena. In this corner we have the "Chaos had 'em in the Horus Heresy so they should have 'em now" stance, weighing in at 10,000 years of constant warfare. In this corner we have the "common sense and delicate machinery in the Eye of Chaos, and blasted Space Marine clones" stance, slightly less defensable but much more argumentative. Who will win? Find out after these messages when we return to the Great Thunderchicken Debate! Cluck, cluck, baGook!

>The basilisk should be limited to the Iron Warriors (1 support
detachment, 1 per company but not a special card).

The way I had it, if a player took Chaos Undivided they needed a variety of units. They didn't have most of the daemons & weird-special-ability-troops, so they needed something else. I gave 'em artillery.

>One support detachment per company of the Iron Warriors should be able to take the mark of Khorne.

If the Iron Warriors follow Khorne, I should put 'em into the Khorne list. I don't play 40k and I haven't read the new Chaos Codex - what's the background on this?

>Well thats my two cents. I hope you found these comments useful.

Definitely. Thanks!
-Yar

\~
 |~ ^
/~ |
         You are here. Wouldn't you rather be out there? -->